Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Wisconsin Spring Turkey Season a bust? >

Wisconsin Spring Turkey Season a bust?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Wisconsin Spring Turkey Season a bust?

Old 05-18-2009, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wisconsin Spring Turkey Season a bust?

After hunting 4 days with no luck and limited gobbling, Sunday was just as you said Ihuntandfish, clear skies, low wind, high pressure had the toms going, and the hens were nuts, yelping,cutting, fighting all within 80 yards in the woods. The toms (4 of them!) were set as hens were all around them making a racket. I was able to watch for the first time ever a tom breed a hen. Unfortunately they wouldn't come my way and the hen's lead them down over the opposite side of a rise from me. I was bummed, but not out. I thought that I have two options, stalk through fairly open woods, or back out and try to cut them off. I chose to stalk, figuring if I got busted I could scatter the flock and try to set up on them later.
I was lucky enough that the hens kept talking, and I could hear the toms drumming (yes, that was the sound you heard), to get an idea where they were. I was spotted at about 50 yardsby a tom, but the sun was in his eyes so while he knew something wasn't right, he couldn't totally figure me out, but he kept watching me while the other 3 kept strutting. After waiting about 5 minutes they strutted around to a small opening and I was able to pick out one bird and took the shot. He dropped right there. I realized after that shot that I never put my turkey choke in this spring. I had in my modified choke from duck hunting last fall, it must be a good pattern at that distance, cause he was peppered. Oh, and I NEVER buy "turkey loads" I can buy the exact same thing in a box of 25 for less money than a box of 10. Heavy Pheasant Loads.