Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

how to scout?

Old 05-06-2009, 02:41 PM

Default RE: how to scout?

this is the picture for the post above my last one.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Fork Horn

As I said, someway - try to figure out where they are when you hear them gobble. If it is form the same palce at the same time on several days - get there before they do.

You are going to have to figure out a way to listen for them before sunrise, sdo you know exAdclty whith trees theye are roosting in. Then figure out a way to find out where they like to go to eat and strut in the morning (they often go to open fields, with low cover). Then get between where they roost, and where they go to eat, and setup there.

Turkey hunting often involves a lot of scouting ...

God bless,

T.R.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:10 PM

another question, i guess i never really thought of, what time do turkeys go to strut, ive always thoght right in the morning,maybe im wrong and i havent been scouting to see where the strut is.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of my hunting ground can be seen from roads with optics, so I usually scout from my vehicle. Most of the time, you have to get your boots muddy.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:53 PM

Turkeys love old logging roads,fourwheeler trails,utility lines,fire lanes etc. i would set up within 100 yards of him on that 4 wheeler trail that is if you know where he is roosted. Any time u can set up and know there is nothing like brush or a creek to hang him up just puts the odds a little more in your favor. Get close,study his movements and use good woodsmanship and u can kill him.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

Although they may start to strut as soon as they hit the ground, toms will usually "go to a strut" (often a feeding area) within a few minutes of sunrise.

Listen for toms gobbling in the morning, "before sunrise", and then figure out where they most likely spot is for them to strut and feed, and get between where they are gobbling from in the trees, and where you think they will go to strut or feed, and call them in.

God bless,

T.R.