Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 shot size, who shoots what >

shot size, who shoots what

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

shot size, who shoots what

Old 04-29-2003, 02:54 PM

Default shot size, who shoots what

i just wanted to know what size you all shoot and do smaller shot pattern better than larger shot. the reason im asking is because i got a box of #6 3" which is not my first choice ( i like #5 3" ) but have yet to pattern them. anyone have anything good/bad to say about the small shot?
Old 04-29-2003, 03:16 PM

Default RE: shot size, who shoots what

I shoot the 3 1/2in 5#s in Heavy Shot. I like them because they arent 4' s and arent 6' s. Now if you can figure out what I said and meant, good luck..........
Old 04-29-2003, 03:24 PM

I patterned this weekend and found that a 3inch mag 5 shot patterned better at 20 yards than a six or a 4 through my Winchester 12 gauge with turkey choke.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:02 PM

In patterning my shotgun (Mossberg 835 with a Hastings .685 choke) I found that 3" and 3.5" number 5' s did the best. But number 4' s were real close. Given the extra energy of the number 4' s---I have used Winchester HV 3.5" number 4' s for 3 years and could not be happier. (Well---not so happy while I patterned it. My shoulder was like hamburger after that exercise.) Twice I did a real poor job of estimating range and rolled both turkeys in excess of 60 steps. Granted---those shells pack a wallop---but I have yet to feel it when I have taken Mr. Tom.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:21 PM

Winchester Supreme HV #5' s get the job done real nicely in my Remington 870 SPST w/ 21" barrel.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:27 AM

I tend to agree w/ the rest. I use Federal premium #5 2oz. 3" and they work nice, with my first longbeard this year I got a little antsy and they have no problem knocking one over @ 45+ yds. That' s out of a Mossberg 500 w/ .670 xx turkey choke.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:19 AM

Federal #4 3" folds ' em past 40 for me. patterns good in my gun.

slayer
Old 04-30-2003, 07:29 AM

Winchester 2 3/4" HV Supremes in #4 shot. I' m shooting a Browning A5 with a 30" full choke barrel and it' s deadly. I just killed one yesterday afternoon at 40 yards and he hardly even flopped.

As far as the #6 shot, they have killed a many a bird, but I hit birds with them on two different occasions that didn' t stay down. On one of those occasions I had called in 3 longbeards and would have easily doubled had the first bird stayed down. He didn' t and while I was finishing him, the other two got away. After that, I switched to #4' s. I' ve killed four birds with them, 2 at 40+ yards, and all four have gone down like a ton of bricks, hardly even flopping. I highly recommend the extra energy you get from the larger shot size. #5' s work very well also, but the #4' s pattern better in my gun, so they get the nod.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:20 AM

I shoot 3" Winchester Supreme HV #6 1 7/8 oz. out of a Winchester Model 1300 with an Undertaker Choke (.665) and a 22" barrel. In theory it would seem that a tighter choke would like smaller shot and a wider choke would like larger shot, But that always doesn' t ring true. The length of the barrel on your gun also has some afffect on pattern. But this theory may give you a place to start from.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:41 AM

i have taken the limit each year since 1990 with fed. prem,win supreme and hevishot.all have been 3.5 x 4s in my rem 870 exp super mag.this is my first year to shoot the hevishot,but took a double beard at 45 yds with it.the other two birds this year were with the win supreme 3.5 x 4 and also at 45+ yds. i believe the keys to success are the choke tube and knowing the distance before you pull the trigger.by the way,i have shot several different tubes but the star dot xfull has the best pattern in my gun!

Quick Reply: shot size, who shoots what

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.