Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Military base Mariam

Old 04-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Military base Mariam

Well what a day. I washunting on the military base Ft Carson, CO. Yesterday I found a nice strech of fields and pondarosa stands with scrub oak ravines. I located a dream tree before light. A roost with 3 gobblers sounding off at any noise. A truck, dog, car, and of course my calls. I set up down hill 50 yds away. The sun slowly crept up the side of the mountain. Then the fog rolled in, and there I sat waiting for 1 1/2 hrs. Finally the fog lifts and i realize I have a hot hen in the tree 10 ft away looking at me. My heart sank knowing she would fly down away from me and drag the toms with her. The she starts clucking and yelping. The toms are going nuts. I hear a gobble to my right around 200-300 yds away behind me. I swear that tom covered the distance in less 3 then minutes. I hear a twig and he's 5 ft behind me clucking away. He was so close I couldn't move. He walks off and the hen flys down and one by one the toms follow, but the wrong way. I was ready to shoot my decoys.

I picked up and moved up the mountain and walked it back to my truck. I was almost to my trruck and decided to take my time and move back through the valley calling every 200 ydspraying a tom lost the fight and broke away from the bunch. I didn't get 300 yds and I got a gobble response less then 50 yds away in a ravine.I remembered earlier there was only one hen in the area. So I ran out and set up a hen and took cover. I clucked and purred for 5-10 minutes and then out of no where behind a pine tree I saw the red head strutting towards the decoy. I got ready and when he stepped out. i had my first mariam turkey. He was an old bird his beard was broken off with only 2 inches left. he weighted 25 1/2 lbs.On the way out with a huge smile on my face I walked into this nice 6 pt elk shed. I will be back in thefall looking for him.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Military base Mariam

Congrats man, great recap! I am going after a merriams in a week or so up in SD. Again, congrats and assuming you are in the military, thanks for your service!
Old 04-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great bird and great story. x2 on thanks for your service
Old 04-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your both very welcome. Hey I might retire in the military just cause the hunting.Some of the best hunting a hunter could find.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like you sure laid the smack down on his head! What were you usin?

Congrats!

And we cant thank you enough!
Old 04-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!
Old 04-27-2009, 06:11 AM

Awesome story, and Thank you for all you do!
Old 04-27-2009, 06:53 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Congrats bud - nice bird - nice shed too!

JW
Old 04-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

JW I grew up in Waukesha county and try to make it home for deer season every yearbut the deer pop is gone so we're headed to MN this year. It's a shame.

Bullet Hole It's kinda a funny story but since you asked I was using a Rem 870. I thought I was using my Turkey Nitro but instead a 3in T shot found it's way into my box. I guess it happened during yote hunting. But it sure did the job, and not one BB in the body all neck and head. I'm surprised it didn't take the head off.

Hopefully I'll have more pics this weekend. I taking out 2 friends to try and get 2 of the 3 that got away. Good Luck Hunting!!!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a question now. Reading the regs I see theres rio grande in the area. I looked at pics and they kinda look the same whats the difference. Maybe I got a rio grande?