Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Decoys

Old 04-24-2009, 07:49 AM

Default Decoys

Do you use them or not? Also is there a certain time when decoys are more or less effective. I don't want to drag these thing out there if they aren't worth the effort.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Decoys

Oh, they will be worth the effort. I rarely hunt without them. I highly highly recommend using them.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ALWAYS us decoys. Either a Jake and Hen or a Strutter and Hen.

I will AWAYS use a DSD Hen in every turkey hunting set-up I hunt from, regardless of wether I use a Tom, a Jake, or more Hens!

Old 04-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice pics IL Cornfed.

gspguy, if inconvience is the issue, go with FeatherFlex decoys. That is what I use. They are foam and almost weightless. They fold right up and you can stick them in your backpack, vest, or even a large pocket. Sure they don't look near as lifelike as the ones IL Cornfed posted, but the Toms won't know the difference. Or atleast the Iowa gobblers don't.....
Old 04-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

Not to be a contrarian, but I never use them in the woods. When I have to hunt the field edges, such as rain, wind, etc., I use a lot of them at once,4-5 typically. I feel it distracts the turkey from focusing on one single decoy long enough to figure out it isn't real.

I use the plastic fold up type of decoys. I think they look far more realistic than foam decoys. I also touch up or repaint them every season. Some decoys, in my opinion, are much too dark and lack the light brown secondary feathers or the white with black bars primary feathers. I have painted all mine to include those and I think it makes them look better. I also lightly add bronze highlights to the breasts and make sure the heads are slate bluish/gray.

Maybe I am too picky.

Mouthcaller
Old 04-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice decoys cornfed! Who makes those??
Old 04-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

I use the Pretty Boy and Pretty Girl very good decoys I'm going to buy another hen or two to go with my 1 hen one Strutter.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

I ALWAYS us decoys. Either a Jake and Hen or a Strutter and Hen.

I will AWAYS use a DSD Hen in every turkey hunting set-up I hunt from, regardless of wether I use a Tom, a Jake, or more Hens!

Nice Peep'N Tom do you like it and also you use the paper tail fan?
Old 04-25-2009, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always have the Feather Flex deke along.I carry mine in the game pouch on the vest to keep it's shape but you can roll it up and stuff it in a pocket so there's no effort involved with these.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have numerous dekes. it really depends on how the birds are acting as to which deke to use.

Quick Reply: Decoys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.