Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Decoys

Old 04-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Spike

Default RE: Decoys

i use one hen and 2 jakes. That has woprked well for me even when ther Toms are with hens. i wouldn't hunt without them
Old 04-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

I use them about half the time. Sometimes it really brings the turkeys in, but other times it seems to make them hang up and avoid coming in. I decide if I'm going to use them or not based on the reactions of the turkeys. If I were you, I would try them opening day, and if they don't seem to be helping much, I would leave them at home. Otherwise, I'd use them. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tend to always have them with me.... but I find that I probably use them no more than half the time.

I like to hunt in the woods... and when I'm in the woods... I don't fool with them. I like to use them in roads or clearings, and really only occasionally in big open fields.... however, to contradict myself... I think that strutting decoys work best in the wide open. Using just hens in fields where visability at turkey level is greater than 100 yards, I've had too many birds draw a line and hang up past the magic 80 yardbubble.

As to full strutters in small pockets and tight woods.....I've had more than one bird waltz around the corner and see old Puff Daddy standing there and cross wings and roll out looking over his shoulder to see if he was going to get his arse beat. When they can see them from a long way off.... it tends to make them not quite as shy.... maybe it lets them build up the nerve. Who knows....

Decoys can quite often too be such a hinderance from a mobility standpoint that I'd just assume say to hell with them. A long slog in the hot sun with a full strutter, all his get up, a widowmaker and a feeing hen, a bow, a ground blind, calls, food, water, stool.... you might as well hire a couple porters for a half day, or purchase a nice garden cart with 26" bike wheels.... it has gotten to where I feel like I'm going duck hunting I have so much junk with me.