Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Kansas Turkey Hunt

Old 04-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Spike

Default Kansas Turkey Hunt

I wanted to share some pictures from my turkey hunt with my dad in north central Kansas. Due to my screwy work schedule, we hadn't been able to hunt turkey together for about two years, so this was a great hunt and an even better opportunity to spend some time together. The birds were hard to locate due to the high winds that blew all weekend long, but the ones we found came to the call extremely well.

We didn't make it out there until about noon on Tuesday. Right away we located a gobbler strutting in a field with one hen. Dad and I set up on the field edge about 100 yards from the bird and I starting calling. From the very first call you could tell that the gobbler was interested. He strutted right in, with the hen in tow, and Dad thumped him at about 40 yards. We had our first bird before 1:00 P.M. The gobbler had an 8 ½ inch beard and 1 inch spurs.

Wednesday morning we set up on the 40 acres that my dad bought two years ago. Last season I got a nice tom on it and this year my goal was to take one with a bow. We set up my ground blind on the edge of the alfalfa field about 125 yards away from where two gobblers were roosted. Of course, they flew down and went the opposite direction. About 8:45 a nice gobbler entered the alfalfa field and I called to him. Just like the day before, he strutted in with a hen in tow and I arrowed him at 15 yards. He sported a 9 ½ inch beard and 1 inch spurs.

Thursday morning we set up on four gobblers, who once again flew down and went the opposite direction. However, about 9:00 a bearded hen came into our setup, along with two other hens. Dad smoked her at only 10 yards with an old black powder cartridge 10 gauge double barrel shotgun. She had a beard that was about 3 inches long.

Later around 11:45, I called in three gobblers who came in behind us. We were trying to get the back shooting ports opened up when a gust of wind made my decoys move unnaturally and also collapsed the south side of my blind. The birds spooked and I took a long running shot at one of them but missed.

So I still have one more bird to get. But before I do that, Dad and I are taking my two older daughters next weekend. I'm hoping that each of them can get one of the gobblers that I missed.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Kansas Turkey Hunt

Nice birds! Great story and pics too! Where about in NC Kansas do you hunt? Anywhere close to Seneca or Axtell? I hunt dove and plan on hunting deer on some WIHA land around there next Fall.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Spike

Thanks!

It's aways west of those two places. Beyond that, I can't get too specific. You know, I don't want togive away the location of my honey holes.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

I understand....
Old 04-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

That'll be some memorys that'll stick with ya for a long time. The bearded hen is neat also, as I also shot one in KS. on the 16th with my bow. Good luck with the daughters!! Calling should be even better next weekend, from what we saw this weekend.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Spike

Thanks Howler! Congrats on the bow kill.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice birds