Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 lets have a competition!!? >

lets have a competition!!?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

lets have a competition!!?

Old 04-14-2009, 04:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: lets have a competition!!?

ORIGINAL: MO-KS_hunter

ORIGINAL: Adrian J Hare

OK I'll play too but are we involving the these hunters that use the Ol Sugar Shot ? because everyone knows they can't be beat [8D]

Now I have to ask this - The photo above (Great pattern by the way) but I see you have circled a 10 in and it is off the head of the turkey as you can see through the paper right ? Not being smart here, maybe stupid but why are you counting something that is not on the place that the pattern is suppost to be ? I've never counted a cluster of shot on any target.

Adrian I agree 100%, the only thing that counts are the pellets that hit the turkey's head. But with that particular shot (happened to be the time I shot my hevi-shot #6), I'm pretty sure I pulled the shot to the right. I confirmed this by setting up another target at 40 yards and used a cheaper winchester double-X magnum to verify that the center of pattern is indeed where I'm aiming.

Not to be a contarian, but you might wish to recheck the POI with the original shell. When working up my gun it was clearly evident that center of the pattern with different loadswere different, some of them significantly different. The cheap shells shot with my gun shot nowhere near where the Nitros did.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:25 AM
Typical Buck

Sugar shot - really. Adrian, your jealously over my loads andpattern does not become you given your experience as a turkey hunter . You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you the distance of the first bird I killed this year with that "sugar load".

That 20 yard pattern is reallyimpressive BTW. At some point I may get tired of lugging around this cannon and consider working up a 20 gauge. I still shoot the first gun I ever owned, a Belgium Browning A-5 magnum for doves. I love the 20 gauge. It would give me another project to work on over the summer too.

I'm sure you know that the 1 7/8 oz Nitro load of straight 7s is reported to be da bomb for the 20 gauge

Mouthcaller
Old 04-14-2009, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

Can't wait to see the "40 yard" patterns.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

Sugar shot - really. Adrian, your jealously over my loads andpattern does not become you given your experience as a turkey hunter . You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you the distance of the first bird I killed this year with that "sugar load".

That 20 yard pattern is reallyimpressive BTW. At some point I may get tired of lugging around this cannon and consider working up a 20 gauge. I still shoot the first gun I ever owned, a Belgium Browning A-5 magnum for doves. I love the 20 gauge. It would give me another project to work on over the summer too.

I'm sure you know that the 1 7/8 oz Nitro load of straight 7s is reported to be da bomb for the 20 gauge

Mouthcaller
Thats funny right there, Glad you have a sence of humor

Congrats on your bird nice to seethe old sugar shot putting them down [8D]
Old 04-15-2009, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, Adrian Nitro men Prefer "sugar shot"Be cause it gives you MORE pelletsand HIGHER velocity. Would you prefer ( I know this isn't relative but that's not the point) 15 #3 pellets in a shellon a turkey to save your life or would you prefer 30 #7's? I'm just sayin' I want to optimize the preformance of myload, choke, gun combo. AlsoI don't have a pic of my pattern but If you have seen the picture ofmy turkey I killed this year you might get an idea of it.[8D]
Old 04-15-2009, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a 30 yard pattern from a T/C Encore Pro Hunter 12 gauge, shooting 3", 2oz., #6 Hevi-13, through an Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike choke

205 hits in head and neck