Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Need all around shotgun recommendation >

Need all around shotgun recommendation

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need all around shotgun recommendation

Old 03-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default Need all around shotgun recommendation

I got a quote on my montrefeltro and have decided to get rid of it. In an earlier quote, I was asking for turkey gun suggestions but now that I am getting rid of my benelli as opposed to adding a turkey gun to the arsenal, I need a single "do everything gun". In other words, I want something that is as short as possible, preferably 24 inches but I may be limited to 26 inches since I want a do it all gun. I would like synthetic, black or camo is fine. I also want a gun already tapped for a sling and a 3 inch chamber is big enough. I don't have a preference for pump or auto and my budget is very flexible. I am getting $700 for the benelli, so if i need to come out of pocket a few hundred, that's fine.

Any recommendations would be great, i've been out of the gun market for yrs so i'm at a loss. The reason I think a turkey only gun won't work is it's too single purpose. I need something that can be used for hog, deer, bird, duck and turkey hunting. again, a one for all gun that is short and durable.

thanks, hope to get something this weekend.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need all around shotgun recommendation

I just found something i really like but know nothing about. It is the Franchi I12 Waterfowl, 24 inch barrel in Realtree. anyone know this gun?
Old 03-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

I don't have any experience with the Franchi, but just out of curiousity, why are you getting rid of your montefeltro? Those are great guns, my buddy has one and I shoot the benellisupersport for wingshooting. I almost bought the montefeltro when deciding between the two. As fora straight, do it all shotgun the benelli supernova is a good choice. Thats my main turkey hunting shotgun, but it has knocked down everything from ducks to dove tosquirrells too.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

If you want my opinion, I really like the Benelli Nova. I have used it for everything from waterfowl, to pheasants, to grouse, to turkeys, to deer. It has performed very well. I find it very easy to aim, and it is very reliable. I have a 26 inch barrel in black synthetic, and it's an awesome all around gun. Benelli's a great company. If I were your, I'd stick with what I have but thats just me. Good shooting.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look at the Remington 870's are good all around guns. Benelli Novas are good also!

Both go for"somewhere" around $350....some less some more...
Old 03-31-2009, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Typical forum.... LOL! A guy asks about a quality shotgun and folks respond with answers for low end "budget" shotguns. MAN, the guy is getting rid of a Benelli model...... once you've handled one of those beauties,... the guns mentioned above are cheap JUNK!

Take a look at the new Benelli VINCI that was just released today! It may be the smoothest shooting 3" 12 gauge anyone has ever seen. I lovemy SBEII but this new gun may be a "must have" as well?

Of any of our guns, my all-time favs for Gobblers are the T/C Encore Pro Hunter with it's 24" barrel and the Benelli SBEII. Good luck and good shootin'
Old 03-31-2009, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

If your not scared to come out of pocket some more I would say a Benelli Super Black Eagle. 1200$
Old 03-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

I'm a Remington guy, and more specifically an 870 guy, so whenever anyone asks about what kind of shotgun to get that's immediately my first suggestion. But since you have some money to play with I would say go for an 11-87. Semi-auto sucks up some of the recoil of those hard hitting turkey and waterfowl loads. But if it were me and I was looking for a gun to use hard, a gun that will probably get a little dinged up, and wet, and dirty and everything else that comes with being an honest working hunting gun i'd prob stick to the 870. But like i said, I'm probably a little biased haha
Old 03-31-2009, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

im also an 870guy i ve 3 . my latest is a super mag got a pure gold choke tube i also use it duck hunting its got a 26 in barrel
Old 03-31-2009, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

Typical forum.... LOL! A guy asks about a quality shotgun and folks respond with answers for low end "budget" shotguns. MAN, the guy is getting rid of a Benelli model...... once you've handled one of those beauties,... the guns mentioned above are cheap JUNK!

Take a look at the new Benelli VINCI that was just released today! It may be the smoothest shooting 3" 12 gauge anyone has ever seen. I lovemy SBEII but this new gun may be a "must have" as well?

Of any of our guns, my all-time favs for Gobblers are the T/C Encore Pro Hunter with it's 24" barrel and the Benelli SBEII. Good luck and good shootin'
No offense to those who can, and do, spend a lot of money on a gun. In my opinion, and probably a few others here, a $5000 shotgun is no better than a $500 shotgun.I could afford to spend more on a shotgun than I have, but I decided after looking around not to. I shoot a Maverick 88, almost the exact same gun as the Mossberg 500.Since it's made byMossberg,everything's interchangeable with the 500. It hasn't given me any problems in the three years I'vehad it, and I've taken deer and turkeys with it in the pouring rain, freezing cold and muggy South Carolina heat.It also serves, along with my 9mm, as home protection.

I don't care how "sweet" and "smooth" a gun shoots,dead is dead. When Benelli makes a shotgunthat cleans and quarters a deer, breasts out a turkey or drops an intruder faster than a Mossberg, then I'll buy one. Until then, I'll stick with my $189 "cheap junk" gun.I'll use theother hundreds of dollars for things more important.

Quick Reply: Need all around shotgun recommendation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.