Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Need gun selection help, here's why. >

Need gun selection help, here's why.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need gun selection help, here's why.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default Need gun selection help, here's why.

I have several shotguns but none seem very suitable for turky hunting. My Benelli Montrofeltro 12 ga is a very nice gun but it is so long and cumbersome, I find it ackward to hunt with. I've used it for yrs but each yr consider getting rid of it or at the very least, getting a bettery turkey gun. This one not only has a long 28 inch barrel but the stock and receiver seems longer than other guns.

I also have a Rem wingmaster, 26 inch barrel that i love, but its not a good turkey gun either b/c it has a fixed choke, improved, and is only 2 3/4 shells. So I don't think it is a good choice though I could replace the barrel but still be limited to 2 3/4 shells.

With the Benelli, I think I am stuck, it will cost more to get a barrel for that gun than it's worth, plus, I still have a long stock and receiver and a wood grain finish to get scratched up. Do you think i should try to make the Rem wingmaster work or do I really need to get an entirely new gun? If new, suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

What would you recommend I do? I shot a friends Rem 1100. He put a rifled barrel and super full choke and it shoots nicely. Gun is heavy but put 40 pellets in 10 inch plate at 45 yrds vs. my benelli with 16 at 45 yrds.

edit: neither gun has a sling which is a hassle. Also, my 16 pellets at 45 yrds was with a factory full choke in the benelli. I've never shot at 45 yrds until this yr due to some unusual circumstances but that's another story.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need gun selection help, here's why.

Don't try the Wingmaster. That Bennelli will work just fine. Get you a good choke and do some patterning with it. Throw a sling on it and it will help with packing it around.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

mossberg 835 thats all that needed to be said
at 50 yds i am getting an average of 108 pellets in a 10 inch circle
Old 03-29-2009, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

I have hunted the last few years with a Nova w/28" barrel and did fine. If you are set on getting a new gun look at either the Mossbergs or the Remingtons with the thumbhole....very comfy. I actually have the 535 Mossberg - I am getting 45 pellets at 40yds shooting conventional shot 3" shells(up to 3.5). The thing I didn't do and should have was look harder at the 835- It is over sized in the barrel (actually a 10g if I remember right) and that reduces the kick. JMO.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I HIGHLY recommend going and getting a Mossberg 835. The best turkey gun there is. Get yourself a Jellyhead and youll be shooting some great patterns.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

Sell the Benelli and the Wingmaster and pick up a Remington 870 Express Magnum, new or used. It will have a 3 inch chamber and a threaded barrel for different choke tubes. Put a JellyHead tube in it and your buddy will be jealous of your patterns......
Old 03-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, I am going to throw you all for a loop and say get the NEF Pardner 20ga with screw in choke tubes. Drill and tap the barrel, put on a red dot or scope, get an Indian Creek .555 or Pure Gold .555, and shoot Nitro #7's.
You should be able to get about 200 pellets in a 10" circle with that combo for around $400 total.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

Ok, I am going to throw you all for a loop and say get the NEF Pardner 20ga with screw in choke tubes. Drill and tap the barrel, put on a red dot or scope, get an Indian Creek .555 or Pure Gold .555, and shoot Nitro #7's.
You should be able to get about 200 pellets in a 10" circle with that combo for around $400 total.

Ha..not throwing me for a loop.

20 gauge Remington 870 Express,Red dot,PureGold .555and the Nitro 7's 10 inch circle at 40 yards.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Spike

Mossberg 835. I got one two years ago and with the factory choke and winchester supreme turkey loads I ve been four for four with it. Great gun and its a heck of alot cheaper than purchasing a beneli.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MichiganBowbender

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

Ha..not throwing me for a loop.

20 gauge Remington 870 Express,Red dot,PureGold .555and the Nitro 7's 10 inch circle at 40 yards.

Very very nice!!

Quick Reply: Need gun selection help, here's why.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.