HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need gun selection help, here's why.
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 04:26 AM
tealboy
Typical Buck

Default Need gun selection help, here's why.

I have several shotguns but none seem very suitable for turky hunting. My Benelli Montrofeltro 12 ga is a very nice gun but it is so long and cumbersome, I find it ackward to hunt with. I've used it for yrs but each yr consider getting rid of it or at the very least, getting a bettery turkey gun. This one not only has a long 28 inch barrel but the stock and receiver seems longer than other guns.

I also have a Rem wingmaster, 26 inch barrel that i love, but its not a good turkey gun either b/c it has a fixed choke, improved, and is only 2 3/4 shells. So I don't think it is a good choice though I could replace the barrel but still be limited to 2 3/4 shells.

With the Benelli, I think I am stuck, it will cost more to get a barrel for that gun than it's worth, plus, I still have a long stock and receiver and a wood grain finish to get scratched up. Do you think i should try to make the Rem wingmaster work or do I really need to get an entirely new gun? If new, suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

What would you recommend I do? I shot a friends Rem 1100. He put a rifled barrel and super full choke and it shoots nicely. Gun is heavy but put 40 pellets in 10 inch plate at 45 yrds vs. my benelli with 16 at 45 yrds.

edit: neither gun has a sling which is a hassle. Also, my 16 pellets at 45 yrds was with a factory full choke in the benelli. I've never shot at 45 yrds until this yr due to some unusual circumstances but that's another story.