Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hunting Etiquitte

Old 03-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Spike

Default Hunting Etiquitte

I got to thinking after posting on a certain forum about Turkey hunting Etiquette.Escpecially when hunting public ground. I've had manytimes where people have cut me off or scared birds off trying to get in between meand a bird. I could go on writingabout things that upsetme when it comes to people being disrespectful of others so I'm just going to put it in a small list. Just thought I would do this to remind everyone that we are all out there for the same reasons. I would also like to add that none of us like having our toes stepped on so please be respectful of others. I encourage everyone to add as they see fit.

1)Never cut another hunter off when they are working a bird.

2)Upon approaching another hunter, be courteous and kindly ask which direction they are hunting. This shows thatyou respect their space.

3)Give advice and tips on an area if familiar. (I've found that ifyou give, you will often be surprised withwhat you get in return!)

4)Never talkdown to anyone! Getting peppered hurts.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Etiquitte

Hope it wasn't my fenceline post, lol....
I totally agree with you about hunters having respect for others hunting...
I really feel if you aren't there first, then you should go elsewhere, thats why I scout for weeks prior just in case.
This year I haven't had any problems, last year, I was working a bird and boom, someone shot my bird [:@]I believe they were poaching because there was no yelling or screaming whoohooo after the shotand they were close to me but it was thick, anyway, it was a horrible feeling, I could never knowingly do that to another hunter.
I do always let the pther hunter ask me where I'm going, then I can tell him, if I ask first , then they the same place i was thinking of I'd have to go elsewhere, lol.
I always try to help out my fellow hunters too if they ask, sometimes when they don't, I don't want them thinking I'm a know it all......it's good karma, I have been blessed too many times after helping someone out that really needed it...it's a good feeling helping others , especially if they have an exciting hunt or a kill.....
The way I look at it is If God is going to bless me, he will, if he's going to bless someone else, he will
Old 03-26-2009, 11:05 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Good points.

I would caution though that when someone cuts you off from a bird so to speak, don't immediately think that was by intention. If you area good/better than average caller it is very likely that the other guy may think you are a turkey. He may be listening and trying to get between what he thinks is a hen and a tom.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mez

Good points.

I would caution though that when someone cuts you off from a bird so to speak, don't immediately think that was by intention. If you area good/better than average caller it is very likely that the other guy may think you are a turkey. He may be listening and trying to get between what he thinks is a hen and a tom.
x2

No way to tell without having seen a truck or a person in the area.

My general rule is that if there is a truck parked nearby in a public area.... just go someplace else. I don't like hunting near others anymore than I like others hunting near me. That keeps confrontation to a minimum.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

I also hunt someplace else if I see a truck parked in the area I am hunting. Good points everyone.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with giving room to other hunters that are there first, but I came across a good one this weekend. A hunter actually pulled his truck to the side of the road on the WMA where I was hunting and he put two decoys in the road only 20 feet in front ofthe truck and he was sitting in a chair across the road from his truck. He got mad at me for driving past him. Claiming a spot is one thing, blocking access to one end of the WMA is another.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

hahahaha, sorry for lmao Centaur1 but thats funny....It just shows the ignorance of some folks hunting public land.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your looking for hunter Etiquitte... Public land is the wrong place too look for it!!!

35 years of public land expierience
Old 03-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

I have to agree with Mr. Longbeard, last year I was calling in a bird and boom game over that time hunter got between me and bird. Thats public hunting and private land to. Never saw him come in and I was first one in the area, got there at 3:30 am that morning to make sure. But we still need to pratice etiquitte.