Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Need some help with my Rem 870 >

Need some help with my Rem 870

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need some help with my Rem 870

Old 01-23-2002, 12:21 PM

Default Need some help with my Rem 870

Hey gys, I bought a Rem 870 Sp which came with a 20in cantiliver (raised bar to mount scope)barrell and a monte carlo stock. This gun was intended to be used for slug shooting as it came with a barrell that was not rifled but equipped with a screw in choke tubes for slugs. Well, the wheels got turning and thought this would make a great turkey gun. Anyway, I sent the gun off to Mark Bansner in Pa. to do a custom turkey gun conversion. The job consisted of a permanent sleeve that was placed inside the barrell that gave a gradual taper all the way until the end of the barrell. So, the gun was returned with a warning to only use lead shot and the job was complete. I topped the gun off with a Simmons Pro-Diamond 4x scope and was off to the races. At out to 35yds the gun will kill bids as if they got hit by lighting however at 40yds I'm kinda scared of shooting because the pattern opens up. Don't get me wrong, I believe in calling them in close but, I would like a little insurance in case one steps out at say, 40-45yds. I have spent hours on the bench shooting every load that they make and Win HV#4's are giving the best consistent pattern. I was wondering the following: 1-Should I try and order another barell from Rem if I could possibly get another canteliver in maybe 24 or 26in with screw in system to take advantage of some of the newer chokes that are out there? 2-If the barrell is marked for LEAD SHOT ONLY, can I safely shoot the new HEAVY SHOT in it? I have taken several birds with this rig at home in Mississippi and in Alabama but I also have had to pass on several due to them being at 41-45yds when checked with a range finder. Again, I'm not into shooting them at the end of the football field but would like to improve this rig if possible without having to buy a new gun. I again appreciate all of your help and wish all of you a safe season filled with paintbrush beards and limbhanging spurs! SHADOWFOX
Old 01-23-2002, 01:01 PM

Default RE: Need some help with my Rem 870

When you got your shotgun back from Mark did it come supplied with a aftermarket screw in choke? You might look into trying different chokes in your gun, unless Mark has it set-up to shoot that one the best. Just a thought.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:40 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-24-2002, 10:28 AM

Default RE: Need some help with my Rem 870

give ray a call at www.nitrocompany.com he makes some great custom ammo he can answer a lot or your questions