Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 BEARDED HENS,HOW COMMON ? >

BEARDED HENS,HOW COMMON ?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

BEARDED HENS,HOW COMMON ?

Old 04-16-2003, 06:58 AM
VP

Default BEARDED HENS,HOW COMMON ?

HOW MANY OF YOU FELLAS HAVE ENCOUNTERED BEARDED HENS ? WE JUST GOT BACK FROM TX WHERE I SAW ONE. IT WAS PROBABLY THE WEIRDEST THING IVE SEEN AND THE FIRST ONE I HAVE EVER SEEN, JUST WONDERING HOW COMMON IT IS IN OTHER STATES. THE RANCHER IN TX MADE IT OUT TO BE A REGULAR THING OVER THERE BUT IVE BEEN HUNTING IN LA FOR 15 YRS AND NEVER SEEN ONE OVER HERE. WONDER IF ITS JUST THE RIOS THAT PRODUCE IT MORE COMMONLY THEN EASTERNS OR OTHER SPECIES OF TURKEYS? ANYONE HAVE PICS OR THOUGHTS ON IT??

" MAY YUR BEARDS BE LONG AND YUR SPURS SHARP"
Old 04-16-2003, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: BEARDED HENS,HOW COMMON ?

BP, from what I' ve read on the board before on this subject, their quite common in some parts of the US and in other parts their veruy rare. I' ve been huntin turks fior almost 20 years , and I' ve never seen a bearded hen. their not very common here in south Ar.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:25 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-16-2003, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have found that therenot uncommon at all.
I have seen every speice of hen with a beard and could have taken a bearded hen Grandslam, kinda wish I had of now...BT

I hear ya S&R
Old 04-16-2003, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

As genetics becomes more commonplace in game species, we' ll have a definitive answer.

As it stands, there does seem to be a genetic inheritance for bearded hens. Hence, a single population in a relatively small area (say 100 acres) may have a very high population of bearded hens, as high as 25%.

As these hens radiate out from their maternal flocks, they will produce more bearded hen offspring.

I do think the 1/7 is a little high, but for an overall estimate it probably is not too bad. I would say probably more like 1/20 on average, but like I mentioned some populations you see 1/4.

I' ve seen ' em in every state in the Northeast, and they are a sight. I will also state that the beards on hens are usually shorter than a tom' s longbeard (a mature bearded hen may dangle 7 inches of bristle) and the actual bristles are almost always much thinner, less dense and fewer in number (hence a " wispy beard" ).

BT---a bearded hen grandslam would be awesome, especially if you were to mount all four of the birds!! A world slam might not be possible though, as I' ve read (no personal experience) that the Gould' s just don' t seem to have many bearded hens, which helps support the genetics concept
Old 04-16-2003, 01:59 PM

No matter how common you have seen an incredible sight that you will probably not see many more of. I dont know about the rio theory but here in KS I have seen a few bearded hens. I think stories of bearded hens maybe a little more often than actually there are, but then again maybe thats just the guys i hunt with lol..........

None the less COOL!!!!!

Grand Slam huh, i think you would be on a very elite list if not the only.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:06 PM

I have seen 3 this season, but where I am located and where VP hunted they are not that uncommon.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:52 PM

I read the book" After the Hunt" and they have all kinds of stats on irregularities on turkeys and if I remember right bearde hens are like 1 in 2000 birds have beards.That number may even be greater,I' ve seen two and know of a couple taken in Washington last year. Are regs. here state any Tom or turkey with a visible beard,for spring. Our limited Fall hunt is either sex
Old 04-16-2003, 11:39 PM

Are they legal to shoot with a Male tag because of the beard, or is it only possible to take them when a hen season is open?
Old 04-17-2003, 12:10 AM

To Hunt2Kill

That may depend on which state, in Ks our regs are any turkey with a visible beard that also seems to be the case in Washington and i think quite a few other states. Just might have to read the regs. or call fish and game.

Quick Reply: BEARDED HENS,HOW COMMON ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.