Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 BEARDED HENS,HOW COMMON ? >

BEARDED HENS,HOW COMMON ?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

BEARDED HENS,HOW COMMON ?

Old 04-17-2003, 02:29 AM

Default RE: BEARDED HENS,HOW COMMON ?

I have seen one in two decades hunting . Haven' t seen her yet this year . I think the likekyhood of seeing more increases as the turkey population grows.
Old 04-17-2003, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ya' ll need to come to florida.......i know where one hangs out.....her beard is about 5 in. and she walks with a limpo.....she almost got hunted ......but i resisted temptation......we were talking about this the other day withthe biologist and he agreed there are more and more bearded hens popping up......i saw 2 this season alone, none last year though.....
Old 04-17-2003, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Pa. they are not real rare,If someone could post a picture for me I' ll e-mail them a picture of a bearded hen I took this past fall.She had a 6 3/4" beard.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

I am brand new to turkey hunting. I am learning every day. I read this thread because it seemed interesting.

What do you mean by Grand Slam?
Old 04-17-2003, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

The Grand Slam is taking all four species of U.S. turkeys (eastern, osceola, rio and merriam). The world slam would also include the gould from Mexico (which is also in the U.S. in some places now).
Old 04-17-2003, 03:34 PM

I have saw a couple. Both last season. The first was in San Angelo, TX. The second was in SW Virginia. The VA bird probably had a 7" beard (real thin) with a monstorous gobbler hot on her heels.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:58 PM

Are they legal to shoot with a Male tag because of the beard, or is it only possible to take them when a hen season is open?
Ye we can shoot them, our tags just say Turkey on them. WE use the same tag in the fall(with a special draw permit). So in the spring season the rules state: Any turkey with a visible beard. I think this is how the State determines that it' s a male? I don' t know, trust me Washington State Game Dept,isn' t full of the brightest people around.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:34 AM
VP

I did some checking in the Tx Parks and Wildlife booklet, and during the spring season you can harvest bearded hens in (SOME) Counties but not all of them. At least thats the way I interpreted the wording. I do know for sure thou that it would not be a legal Bird in LA.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw one this very morning with a nice beared. There were about 14 hens and 6 gobblers in a flock. I' m in Southeast Indiana. I watched them out in a field with my binoculars. They put on quite a show. The season opens on Wednesday.
I' m anxious to get out there with something besides binoculars.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:14 PM

I hunt just across the big creek from Bogobble and bearded hens over there are not uncommon. I' ve been turkey hunting since ' 92 and have seen 4 bearded hens.The stats i' ve read say about 1/10 bearded hens.