Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Just Back from TEXAS !!!! >

Just Back from TEXAS !!!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Just Back from TEXAS !!!!

Old 04-15-2003, 05:21 PM
VP

Default Just Back from TEXAS !!!!

Well guys, just made it back from Ft McKavett Tx about 5:00 yesterday, and all I can say is WWOOOOWWW!!!! Thats been the most incredible hunting experience I' ve EVER encountered... Anyone thinking of an outa state trip, consider the great state of Tx- I cant say enough about the whole experience.
We got there Wed evening in just enough time to sling everything out of the truck and run for the woods (by the way, why are the trees so small, thought everything was big in Tx). Made it to an old creek bed in time to watch about 40 turkeys fly up to the roost at dark and listened to the hens cacklin for about 20 minutes. We got to our spot way before daylight Thur morning and set up about 70 yds from the roost and waited for light, well about 30 minutes before daylight the entire creek bed for as far as you could hear erupted in Gobbles, it must have been 10-15 Toms & Jakes going slap balistic for 15 minutes before they flew down. Where I' m from, the birds are kinda call shy so you have to be somewhat timid in your callin , so that was the original game plan when all of this erupted. Well I learned my first lesson in callin Rios Thursday morning cause the hens walked off with every Tom in that creek bed. My Texas buddy (Slatecall), told me that the birds over there were all henned up and to be aggressive with my calling so I took his advice after that experience and man did it work. I used my American Friction Rock Bottom Glass and did some serious cuttin on it and man did it FIRE the Toms up. I called up about 15 birds within 40yds. My buddy and I were able to take 7 very nice Toms. The Greatest thing about the whole hunt was, I found a field (200 acres) where about 8 mature toms were strutting right out in the middle of, we set up just out side of the tree line and I started cuttin like crazy, super aggresive and the race was on. It seemed like they were trippen over each other trying to see who could get to me the fastest. These bird started out being about 500 yds away when I started calling and they closed that gap in about 3 minutes, running, struttin and gobbling the whole way, It was the most incredible thing Ive ever seen. They looked like a bunch of race horses. When they got to us they did some of the most spectacular fanning, spitting drumming and fighting you could ever imagine, My buddy and I were so caught up in watching all of this I really hated to pull the trigger. But I finally came to my senses and we let the lead fly. We both Took 2 really nice Toms each that morning . The 3 of us ended up taking 9 birds total for 4 days of hunting. I even saw my first bearded hen, that was pretty freaky, she had about a 4" beard. Ill have pics to post of the whole hunt in a few days and all I can say is I planned next yrs trip before we got thru hunting Sunday.

" May yur Beards be Long and yur Spurs Sharp"
Old 04-15-2003, 05:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-15-2003, 07:18 PM

Default RE: Just Back from TEXAS !!!!

Glad to hear you had a good hunt. Two more days and I' ll be in Fort McKavett. I' m going to take my 9 year old nephew and call one in for him. Where were you in Fort McKavett?
Old 04-15-2003, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats ...BT
Old 04-15-2003, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW!!! Now that sure was an awesome Rio hunt to be on!! Congrats to the whole group!!
Old 04-15-2003, 08:27 PM
Spike

Hey thats my Signature LOL
Old 04-15-2003, 08:30 PM
Spike

Old 04-15-2003, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh My, how could it get any better!!!

Congratulations!
Old 04-16-2003, 03:12 PM

Glad to hear that the aggresive calling worked for you. BTW-The trees ain' t as little as they are when you get further west of us. Good Job, glad to hear that you had a good hunt.