Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Osceola birds

Old 01-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Osceola birds

Its getting close to the opening of the Florida season. The toms are starting to gobble and I'm getting fired up. Anyone coming to Florida for there Osceola this season?

Billy
www.DSOoutdoors.com

Old 01-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Osceola birds

Id like to hunt these birds, but I dont want to pay an outfitter. Not now anyway. Nothing against outfitters, cause I use an outfitter. Now if someone could put me and a buddy on some birds Id come to Florida to hunt them. Can anyone put me and a buddy on some birds?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

I can tell you the best managment areas to hunt. The really good ones require a draw but its easy to get drawn. We have some great places here such as Citrus, Half Moon, Homosassa (Special Op.) Flying Eagle, and a hand full of others. If anyone needs any details or really wants to do it on there own, contact me direct and I'll point you in the right direction. Its really not that hard.

Billy
[email protected]
Old 01-11-2009, 12:04 PM

Capt billy, you are a very generous and kind man we appricate your generousity to turkey hunters for hooking them up with some osceola hunts, it is nice of you, but one word of caution it is very crowded down here ,I have noticed these tyes of posts on the internet before, and they bring throngs, of eager hunters to south florida in the hopes of finalizing a slam, only problem is that these hunting spots aredangerously crowded allready

there has been a largeinflux of traveling guides from other states marketing osceola hunts on public land, often times from out of state, charging very profitable rates , not that there is anything wrong with that, this is America , not Russia.They are talented turkey hunters, but they are capitalizing on a critical situation here,At my best estimate the total harvest for Osceola turkeys in the southern penisula of Florida ,south ofOcala{on public WMA's "public land} is less than 700 osceolas!!!!} then you get guides and , out of state hunters, and we are in big trouble!! no the enemy isnt our fellow turkey hunters, but the bulldozer.

Time will tell, and somethings got to give...years ago the limit what 3 per season, then 2, ill bet the farm that if the current pace keeps up we will be down to 1, then you will need a permit to attempt to hunt them, similar to Elk, or Ram hunts in the west.This looks to take place within 10 years time

A gifted veteran Florida turkey hunter is very lucky to kill 1 gobbler every 2-3 years, things are bad down here

and no it is not "easy" to get a permit for florida osceola birds, I have set a record for 10 consecutive years of being unable to be picked for a florida quota hunt

The only way to turn the tide, is to mobilize turkey hunters into a lobbying group NWTF and take on the issues and try and open up some more public land for turkey hunters , then have the NWTF go in and assist with a program to manage some of the land that is not propery maintained, possibly a no jake harvest law--

good luck-you will need it
Old 01-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

Turkey slayer,

I hear you and I see Florida loosing public ground everyday. I must say I see alot of out of state outfitters coming down each season with clients and guiding them on public ground. In fact, I get alot of calls during the season from out of state hunters who booked such a hunt and had no luck at all with there guide and then pay me to hunt my private farms to get there birds. I feel the state should regulate that from happening in fairness to a paying hunter as well as to protect Florida.

As I do see your point, I also see it fair to help out other hunters and I typically steer them to put in for quota hunts in the central state area. South Florida is way over hunted and like you said, may soon be in trouble.

Either way, good to hear others sides of it and I feel your pain.