Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Calling Tactics...scenario >

Calling Tactics...scenario

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Calling Tactics...scenario

Old 12-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Calling Tactics...scenario

Don't you have finals to study for[&:]

I will respond to this after I'm done with some stuff, without reading other posts.

I probably work birds a lot different than most
Old 12-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

1. What month is it, how's the foliage coming along?

2. I'd try calling more aggressive, or pull out the box (previously using the slate) to make him think it's two hens there.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:47 AM
JW
Super Moderator

1. I stay put and will wait out the entire day. He knows where I am. And at the vey least you have found a strut zone and may be able to set-up on that later or the next day. Nothing else pay attention to the direction he travels.

2. I would get agreessive - start cutting and if he still don't move I would back away calliing and then sneak back to my area and be silent. If nothing else you have just found a 'strut zone' to which setting up closer either during that day or the next you will kill that bird.

JW
Old 12-18-2008, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

Great questions and answers Trev. I agree with you.

The "walking away" tactic mentioned in #2 is a great way to suck in a longbeard, if you can get away with the movement.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

1- I'd hit a crow call to make sure that hen didn't head for the hills and the gobbler was coming in silent. If no response, I'd try to cut them off or find another bird. If nothing else happens, I'd hit that same spot a couple hours later and wait til he's done with that hen, cuz he'll be back for you.

2- I'd quit calling and scratch the leaves a little. Throw in a very quiet purr and maybe a couple light clucks because you are contently feeding and not interested in that Tom. Don't respond to his gobbles, just be quiet and ignore him,occasionally makingsounds just so he knows thatyou are still there and couldn't care less about him. I have done this before to hung up birds in almost the same scenario and it has worked for me.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

I'd quit calling and scratch the leaves a little.
Man can't believe I forgot that. I've sealed the deal with leaves more times than a call, granted Im still new to this game...but it works.

I remember the first time I accidentally discovered this, it cost me a bird, but taught me an invaluable lesson. Was working straight up and down ridges and had a bird on a shelf just above me, couldnt get him to come over for nothing. I was turned around at an awkward angle as he looped around and came in from behind, and after several minutes my legs went numb then started cramping...I lowered my gun and tried to reshuffle myself, and accidentally scraped my foot along the leaves, for sure thinking I royally screwed myself. not 2 seconds later he is chargin up and over the hillside, with my gun lowered and him at 15 yards. He spooked and I never got a shot off. Lesson learned on a terrible choice of a setup, and also that leaves can seal the deal. I learned most of the stuff I know so far through goof ups and mistakes of my own.[:@] I think I have just about screwed up every possible scenario over the past few years. lol Ive only been turkey hunting since 2000, and still have alot to take in.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rory hit one tactic i forgot about. I do it regardless.

Take more than one call. and use them. i would rather sound like 2 hens than one on a hung up tom.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. I would circle around and cut them off....if that doesn't work then I would return a couple of hours later once he is finished with the hen.
2.If hidden well enough I would walk away while calling, and then sneak back into position.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

If The tom is roosting 150 yards from the 30 acre field then I would make sure Im set up on the 30 acre field with decoys out in plain view. Then if he didnt come I would sit there and wait him out.

Bird 2 I would get aggressive. Then if he didnt come I purr and cluck then go silent...
Old 12-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have a back up spot and prob after a half hour I would of moved to that spot