Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Ground Blinds

Old 12-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ground Blinds

This year was first using a blind for me and my girls. Brushed it in, but turkeys wouldn't come closer than 50 yds, just out of range for my girls' guns, was like they know that something wasn't right, also had decoys out. I think it was blind cause ,they just stayed out at 50yds. Would appreciate any help. WE are addicted to them birds.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ground Blinds

Hate to break it to you but it probably wasnt the blind. You still have to be super quiet and still even when in the blind. Im guess that they heard or saw you. Try setting up the decoys closer and make sure the decoys are not facing the blind or the turkeys will be inclined to look at what your decoys are looking at. Hope that makes sense. I set my blind up in the middle of an open field and the turkeys dont notice it so that is why I think that they saw or heard you.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Didn't make any noise or movement, just light clucks and soft purring.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

They must have saw something else because everywhere I have hunted the birds dont mind the blind. Set up your dekes 5 yards from the blind. Good luck!
Old 12-14-2008, 06:50 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Put your hunters in there and then go look at the blind from where the turkeys where.

Are you back lighted - does your silloette show up?

Is the blind in the shadows? Staying in the shadows helps hide movement.

How far did you place your decoys away from the blind? I place mine 5 to 7 steps from the left side of the blind as I am a right hand shooter.

It might have been the decoys - might want to try placing your decoys or decoy off to the side along brush line and in a place that the bird needs to be real close before they see it.

I have used blinds in many-many different set-ups and I look at all the above. I never brush them in but do use surronding low hanging branches/shadows to help blend my blinds in.

JW
Old 12-15-2008, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

Decoys were about 15-20yds out and about 5yds to left, cause we are right handed to. Put blind in tree line and in shadows, plus brushed in. Have jake and hen decoys. This is second year turkey hunting and learning a lot. Will put decoys closer this spring. My girls love hunting and take it serious, plus like having fun with it. Thanks for help guys and any more help apperciate. GOD Bless.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:03 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Warning - Jake Decoys can make sub-dominant birds stay just OUt of range. I suspect that was your problem.

Your blind is just fine. Good choice.

JAKE DECOYS

I have witnessed sub-dominat Toms (not Jakes) stop just out of range because I have a Jake decoy out close to my hen)(s) -to the point I hardly use a Jake decoy at allOR if I do, it isNEVER placed next to hen(s) but put on the other side a good 20 yards away in the opposite direction. I tyry to make it look like a Woos jake! Not dominant. I have seen other Jakes folwoing hens that when they see that Jake also stay away.

Also move your decoys in closer - 15 to 20 yards is a bit too far. As I said mine are never more than 7 yards out. Ya that seems close but then when the Tom comes in I can see the Whites of his eyes!

STRUTTING DECOYS

I have had great success withfull blown strutting decoys either B-Mobile or Pretty Boyand the struter is placed about 2 ft. behind a full body hen that I have laying right on the ground. I also use one more hen that is palced 8 to 10 yds away from this pair. I do use a real fan to my strutters. Way before Primos or Knigh/Hale came out with their Tom version Iactually turned one of my Carrylite rubber Jakes into a strutter by folding his rubber tail up into the body cavity. Then my mounted fan has its own stake I push in the ground right behind him.
I am still working on my theory that a Jakes center 4 feathers in strut mode is a visual cue to any old Dominant Tom but I don't have the data yet to finalize and share my thoughts.
JW
Old 12-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Good advice from JW. I would not give up on hunting out of a ground blind. I set my Doghouse out 5-7 days before the season and I have had no problems with the turkeys shying away from. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

dekes need to be closer. even if i'm not hunting out of a blind my max is 11 steps which is about 10 yards for me.
just remember that at closer ranges your shot wont have time to begin to spread so you'll need to hold almost right on em.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:55 AM

I set the dekes up 10 yards or less in a blind. The blind probably isnt the problem, but cant be for certain. Just be still, be quiet, bring the dekes in, master calling a little more, and accept that it doesnt always work out. Get after em again, you will learn and get it done.

Quick Reply: Ground Blinds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.