Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Nitro Shells safe?

Old 03-31-2003, 09:08 AM
Spike

Default Nitro Shells safe?

I just finished patterning my SP-10 with the Rhino .685 and the Nitro 4x5 copper with 7 heavyshot. The patterns were simply amazing at 40 yards. I did have one problem though, on my last shot the shell extracted about half way and the extractor tore part of the head off of the shell, blowing hot metal all over my hand and arm. Is this normal for these shells or is this too dangerous????
Old 03-31-2003, 12:30 PM

Default RE: Nitro Shells safe?

Steven, I wouldn' t think thats a goood thing, you may want to get ahold Hevi-shot them selves.They' re @ hevishot.com or maybe ask a couple gunsmiths. I know they tend to cycle my pump when I shoot them but haven' t damaged the shell @ all.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:37 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-31-2003, 01:25 PM
Spike

I have tried calling Nitro Company, but the line is busy----I can understand it, being turkey season. I did send them an email, I will post their response just in case someone else has this problem.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear that Steve!! I' ve sent Sandy two e-mails in the last couple of days and no answer as yet, I wanted to order two more boxes of 10, one for me and one for a friend of mine. Last e-mail snady sent me she mentioned that Ray was out of town turkey hunting. By what you said, seems that it was either loaded up pretty hot of a weak brass situation? Thank goodness you didn' t get hurt!!
Old 04-08-2003, 01:48 PM
Spike

Got an email back from Nitro. This is the reply I got. Take note this cleaning was done before shooting this gun. The gunsmith said the shells are just hot loads.
Steven,

We did not get your phone number when you placed your order so I could not call you regarding this matter. The problem that you are having (which we have seen before with factory ammunition as well) is that the bolt of your gun is not properly closing. We have seen this quite a few times with Remington guns. It is important to clean the action with something like brake cleaner so that it will not leave a residue and is still not harmful to your gun. When the bolt does not completely close, you can get burned when the powder ignites. Not only that, but the bolt can get damaged and can crack the whole side of your receiver. If you are not comfortable cleaning the action, please take it to a gunsmith. This noway reflects this or any other ammunition you have shot. This is purely a problem that can happen with a Remington gun. As long as you make sure that the bolt is always completely closed and the action is clean, then you will not have any problems. If you would like to talk further, please do not hesitate to give us a call at 417-746-4600 or leave your phone number and we will call you.

Shoot Straight,

Shotgun Sandy
NITRO COMPANY
7560 Newkirk Road
Mountain Grove, MO 65711
(417) 746-4600

from Sandy.