Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Rhino choke vs. Jellyhead with Nitro shells >

Rhino choke vs. Jellyhead with Nitro shells

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Rhino choke vs. Jellyhead with Nitro shells

Old 03-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Spike

Default Rhino choke vs. Jellyhead with Nitro shells

Ok, I've heard the Rhino choke matched with the Nitro shells (Not Remington or anybody elses nitro, but Nitro Company) is the best combination you can get. It may be very tight in close range, but works magic on a bird hanging up, and for me I could have killed a lot more turkeys out of range than closer.

Well my main question is, how much better is the rhino than the jellyhead with nitro brand ammo? Is it worth spending an extra $70 on the rhino choke? On the nitro website it says 280-320 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards with a Benelli SBEII with both brands off chokes.

If someone has one of these combinations. please send a message quickly so I can hurry up and order.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rhino choke vs. Jellyhead with Nitro shells

You can't quantify the results in your gun, until you have quantifiable results in front of you.... translation.... ain't nothing for sure, and ain't nothing guarenteed. I'll vouch that Nitro's are extremely good shells, and everyone I know that has tried them still shoots them. Also that the best gun (tightest shooting gun anyway and it was a 10 gauge) I've ever personally seen shot a Rhino choke tube and Nitro shells. Do I think its a magic bullet... heck no. Will you get better results than with a stock full choke and plain Remington turkey loads.... if your defination of better is the number of pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards, then I'd put my bet on yes you will. But no one is going to be able to tell you exactly how much better one choke/load will be out of YOUR gun than another. It all just depends.....
Old 03-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: usahoe18

Ok, I've heard the Rhino choke matched with the Nitro shells (Not Remington or anybody elses nitro, but Nitro Company) is the best combination you can get. It may be very tight in close range, but works magic on a bird hanging up, and for me I could have killed a lot more turkeys out of range than closer.

Well my main question is, how much better is the rhino than the jellyhead with nitro brand ammo? Is it worth spending an extra $70 on the rhino choke? On the nitro website it says 280-320 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards with a Benelli SBEII with both brands off chokes.

If someone has one of these combinations. please send a message quickly so I can hurry up and order.

I've heard goodreports with the Jellyhead/Nitro's combo.

Asa matter of fact, on the Nitro site they also mention good patterns with the Jellyhead as well!! If that the case, I'd opt for the jellyhead route and see how it works out of your gun, you'll save yourself almost $70.00 in the process in which you can put towards a box of Nitros!!!!

http://www.nitrocompany.com/

Old 03-28-2008, 06:16 AM
Spike

You're right. I was just wondering if there was a difference in the two chokes with the Nitro shells. I mean if both are essentially the same, its a no brainer to save the $70 and buy the jellyhead. But everyone and all my friends who have the Rhino's swear buy them and say it's the best combination.

If the rhino extends the jellyheads range say 10 yards or more, I'd say it may be worth the $70 extra.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:35 AM

good deal on the jellyhead at wingsupply.com if they're in stock.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quax

good deal on the jellyhead at wingsupply.com if they're in stock.
They were in stock last time I looked. I'm hoping the mail man left me a new toy in my mailbox this afternoon!
Old 03-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Spike

Default Rhino Chokes

Try Envorin Metal Hevi-Shot with the Rhino, its the best conbination I have found in testing chokes for 20 years. Rhino chokes out preform again and again any I have tested. You get what you pay for and in this case its consistant, tight patterns. I have taken 6 Grand Salms with Rhino chokes and one being with 20 gauge. I have taken birds form 10 to 62 yards all with excellent results. As in any choke and gun combination you will need to see through testing what works the best and produces the best results. You just can't go wrong with a Rhino.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are going to limit yourself to these two chokes I would go with the Jellyhead hands down.
99.99% of the time you are not going to extend your range even 5 yards with the Rhino.

Holy crap I just realized this is from '08!