Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Jakes A' Jumping

Old 03-29-2003, 07:38 PM

Default Jakes A' Jumping

Since I am new to tukey hunting this year, I listen very closely to the advice of more experienced humters. I have been told that most times turkeys will not go over fences and avoid any obstructions. But today I witnessed two jakes fly over a fence to get a closer look at my decoys. They paced back and forth for about 5 minutes and then found a low spot to fly over. When they did, they took a coupe of steps towards the decoys and decided to leave. It was 15 minutes of viewing pleasure.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:21 PM

Default RE: Jakes A' Jumping

Although there a some rules about birds ie. not crossing fences, creeks etc. they only apply 80% of the time. We`ve all seen birds cross roads, fly over rivers etc. Thats what makes turkey hunting so fun. You never know what to expect.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:09 PM

Default RE: Jakes A' Jumping

A good phrase I read once sums up turkey hunting, all hunting in fact: " The only absolute about turkey hunting is there ain' t no absolutes" .