Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 please please fill me in ????????? >

please please fill me in ?????????

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

please please fill me in ?????????

Old 03-23-2003, 08:29 AM

Default please please fill me in ?????????

is there a 3 inch load or a 3.5 load and and full choke or extra full choke that your or any body has patterned that will NOT kill a turkey at 35 yards i personly have not ever seen one that will not ... please fill me in .... ps even if you can constantly put 3 pickles in the head at 35 yard the bird is dead heck for that mater even 1 it is dead so please please fill me in
Old 03-23-2003, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: please please fill me in ?????????

I believe that your logic is right here , but I would think, the more Shot that can be delivered to any one area ,the better it would be in the humane taking of the bird. I have seen a friend one time that could not put 1 pellet in the kill zone with a Browning Auto 5 at 30 yards.

I thought pickels where in a Jar instead of the shot shell ...BT
Old 03-23-2003, 12:40 PM

it doesnt take a lot of shot to kill a turkey if they happen to hit in the right place. but it shure help to get them in the right place if you take the time to pattern your gun. some shells do shoot better that others and finding the one your gun likes the best is well worth the effort. turkys are tough and a few pellets in the wrong place wont kill them rite away but they will probably die of lead poison or get eaten by a coyot r something
Old 03-23-2003, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with evervyone else. It is important to patterm your gun and see what works better. You have to ensure a quick clean kill. If you' re not sure where your gun is hitting you may just put lead in a bird that will die later. You also take a chance that if your shot pattern is to big you might hit another bird. It doesn' t take that long to pattern a shotgun. I would rather be safe that sorry.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:42 PM

I have a couple boxes of shells in my " hunting box" that don' t throw a good enough pattern in my setup to kill a turkey every single time at 35 yards. That' s why their in the box and will stay in the box until my next patterning trip Three pellets in the " kill zone" is not good enough for me because it might put those three in there today but tomorrow with the wind/rain/humidity/Mr. Murphy/little bush/ or God knows what else it might not.