Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

[Deleted]

Old 01-23-2002, 07:48 AM

Default RE: Who's added more turkey hunter's to the wood's

That is true bobgobble, but you have to have turkeys in the woods to hunt them.
Old 01-23-2002, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

Obviously you're only asking for our opinion. It would be hard to put a single finger on a single thing that got more turkey hunters in the woods. I believe it is a combination of several things. Here are a few of them:

The DNR's helped by getting more turkeys in the woods.

The NWTF helped by providing research and funding.

The sellers of videos, TV shows, magazines, etc. helped by getting the public more aware of the great fun that is to be had.

The discount chain stores helped by putting readily available and affordable gear on the shelves.

And, yes, mauser, fathers and grandfathers passing on what they love to their children has certainly added more hunters, too. But, the question was, "What is your opinion?" not, "What is your opinion why everybody elses opinion is wrong?"

In my opinion, here is what got more turkey hunters in the woods:
MORE TURKEYS IN THE WOODS.
It's similar to the duck hunting explosion in the past few years. I remember back in the mid 1980's when there was a 3 duck limit and fewer birds, we had fewer duck hunters in the woods and marshes. When the population of the birds started coming back and the limits started going up, more hunters started hitting the waters again. Most, or at least a lot, of the hunters today want to know they have a reasonable chance of seeing and harvestin game when they go out. When the chances are low, a lot of folks just won't bother to go.

Oh, you asked "WHO" not "WHAT." I don't know.

Romans 8:28

Edited by - powduck on 01/23/2002 09:54:16
Old 01-23-2002, 01:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-23-2002, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to say for me it was Ben Rodgers Lee. Had a video and audio cassette tape that I learned from. Never really got into any of the other big names. Now I think I gain the most from Denny Gulvas' videos.

And all the guys on this board.
Old 01-23-2002, 02:54 PM

I would disagree with the DNR respones. But I can't speak for all states. I just know of one in particular and a few others through second hand info that the NWTF state chapter through the superfund has most of the times doubled and tripled the state DNR budget for turkeys. The NWTF has even help fund non-turkey related projects in many states.

Ryan Tucker

Old 01-23-2002, 03:33 PM

I have hunted deer all my life, but this will be #1 for turkeys.

I would not be going unless the IDNR(or NWTF as ryan said) had not released the turkeys that they have.

I think that fathers, grandfathers, uncles,and friends add more hunters than anybody from TV
Old 01-23-2002, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's a lot of lakes with fish in em fellas,but dont kid yourself nobody likes to go unless someone shows you how to catch em and to that end Turkey hunter is exactly right.