Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

which wood??

Old 03-20-2003, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default which wood??

tomarow im going to ask the construction tech teacher if i can use the lathe to turn a striker....i dont see why he wouldnt let me...he taught us the other day and nobody else is using it so i have a decint chance of being allowed.....i think all we have in 2x2 pieces are walnut and cherry....of the 2 which would you pick for a striker?? i had a cody glass that im really looking for a striker for....my black walnut sings on the ol yeller...what would you pick for glass?? thanks alot...
Old 03-20-2003, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: which wood??

Turn one of each and let us know which sounds better.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:38 PM

If you want a sweet striker, make the shaft real thin, comfortable to grip, and let the tip flare out slightly.

PBB
Old 03-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mauser,
Check with BOSSTOM. He makes strikers with flared tips, like PABb recommended. I just got some in the mail from him yesterday. They' re laminated walnut & chokecherry. I think he has a secret wood he uses in some strikers, I hope I didn' t just give it away.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

no joe..the secret wood is supposedly green i think....i would love to turn both but i dont know if i will be allowed to do one let alone 2..thats why i tried to narrow it down...i got some chokecherry logs drying im going to split and do by hand soon..cant wait to see how they sound...i also got apple...but i dont think he will let me bring a split log in and turn it....hes a saftey nut and this and that....but id be too if i was responsible for a bunch of teenagers saftey during wood shop lol....well see tomarow....thanx...keep replying id like to know what should sound better.....and i thought about the flared tip...i might make it like that....and if it dont work just saw it off...
Old 03-20-2003, 04:28 PM

Well I' ve got some cherry wood at home that I' m getting ready to make into strikers, can' t wait to see what they sound like. I made several black walnut strikers awhile back and I like them. They add a nice rasp on glass & slate. Here' s a basic drawing/diagram of a striker, just in case your teacher wants to see a blue print

http://www.customsawing.com/Friction...iker%20(1).pdf

It requires Adobe though....
Old 03-20-2003, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx...i have a few black walnuts i made...they sound sweet on everything ive tried them on...i dont know if walnut will sound like it or not...probally close because of the similar grain ect..i think i will go with the walnut for the first one....see if i can make both after i make the first one....thanx for the blue print....that will come in handy!..he will definently want a drawing or blueprint of it...only....i dont have adobe here and dont want to download anything this computers terribly slow already...and i have no printer....so i will wait until i go home...i will use it when im making it though...i can draw one with some measuerments and he will let it go if im allowed to do it....thanx alot...
Old 03-21-2003, 05:24 AM
VP

The way I figure it, if he' s gonna let you use it, then make one of each. Shoot I might even go get some more wood and make four or five strikers.
COMEON!

" May yur beards be long and yur spurs Sharp"