Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkeys we have named

Old 03-15-2003, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default Turkeys we have named

Lets hear it. What names have you given to turkeys and why?Example: Last season i called up a tom with a respectable 10inch beard or so, but it was so thin that i let him pass. I named him- ole shoelace.What names have you given?
Old 03-15-2003, 05:26 PM

Default RE: Turkeys we have named

I can' t write some of the names I' ve called Tommy,Because I' d be banned.
Old 03-15-2003, 05:34 PM

I had one last year that was roosting on the edge of a sand pit right next to a county forest road.Opening morning we came in on the backside and ended up right under some hens that were roosted there.After they all flew down into the pit the tom flew down there to.We could really get him fired up with some jake gobbles and hen yelping.He would be out by the road and come to the back of the pit and gobble at us.I belly crawled up to the edge of the pit and needed him to make one more run to the back of the pit but it never happened. The hens marched down the road with the tom following.I ended up filling my tag that afternoon on a different tom and never went back.We named him the PIT BOSS and I hope to meet up with him again this spring.I heard that the county put a fence up around the pit so I will have to scout it out and come up with a plan.
Old 03-15-2003, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

same gobbler would come through the area at about 8:30am every morning...after hunting other birds in the area we would set up and wait for this guy....hed come with a bunch of hens and always do what you think a turkey would never do...once my dad was like make sure you can see the trail above to the left..a big 15ft wide clear grass trail that you can see a ways on and a field at the bottom...i was like i cant see it...hes like ahhhh no turkey will come up there with the pressure of the season anyways...whats the bird do...come right on that trail!! i could hear his fan clicking as he was strutting...he was withing 10ft of me looking down on us but i couldnt move at all...he got away that day...other days he came through the thickest stuff he could find that youd think a turkey wouldnt fit in!!! every time we hunted him he was within range..but never would he give a half decint shot...hed sneak around through the thick stuff just blocking a shot...and sneak out after he was sure there wasnt ANOTHER hen in there....i named him many things that i cant say on this board lol...i never did take that bird...he was the king of the woods too...i seen his rope once..to say it was dragging on the ground is an understatment...long paintbrush beard...i seen my dads 10+ inchers and none looked like this one..but hey...thats hunting....he sure was a pimp..one of that names i can say...sure was fun hunting him....
Old 03-15-2003, 07:04 PM

I named one the Junk Ditch Turkey once because he roosted not far from a ditch along the road where inconsiderate people dump there no longer needed belongings. I never had any luck with him but my nephew killed a gobbler the first week of the season last year not very far from his roosting area and I wonder if it wasn' t the Old Junk Ditch Gobbler. Guess I will find out soon, I' m going out in the morning to listen for gobbles at daybreak. I hope he is still around, only a year older and a little wiser!
Old 03-16-2003, 03:24 AM

One that stands out we called " split top" . He was missing one tail feather in the middle and when he was in full strut... you get the idea. My hunting partner tipped him over at 30 yards with 10 minutes to spare before hunting ended for the day.
What a great hunt.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:22 AM

ORIGINAL: MuddyDuck

I can' t write some of the names I' ve called Tommy,Because I' d be banned.
LOL. That' s how it is with me, too!