Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Ticks and biting bugs

Old 03-03-2003, 07:45 PM

Default RE: Ticks and biting bugs

TICKS AND CHIGGERS DON' T BOTHER ME TOO BAD THANKS TO PERMINONE, BUT THE ONE THING I HATE IN THE SPRING IS BUFFALO GNATS. MAN THEY BITE AND EVEN IF YOU WEAR A MASK THEY SEEM TO FIND THE EYE HOLES AND ONCE THEY ARE IN THEY CAN WRECK HAVOC. THEY WILL GET IN YOU EYES, EARS, NOSE, MOUTH AND JUST WORRY YOU TO DEATH.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it might get bad in PA this year. We' ve had a ton of snow, and this might make for a lot of stagnat water in the woods, which is breeding grounds for mosquitos and what not. I haven' t hunted turkey yet, but I' m looking forward it this spring. I hope those peksy little bugs don' t ruin it for me!!!
Old 03-04-2003, 05:06 AM

My grampa used to say " The bugs are so bad, I had to cut a hole in the seat of my pants to keep the gnats out of my face" .
Where I hunt here in Florida, I use toxic levels of Deep woods off and Rhino skin clothing under my hunting clothes. I dont have as much problems with the ticks and mosquitos as I do the biting noseeum sand gnats. Bug spray doesnt seem to repel these pesky critters. Then theres the five venomous snakes and the alligators. (I shot a gobbler on a logging road two years ago and it flopped into a 5 ft. deep water filled ditch. By the time I got up to where the bird went in, a 6ft gator had nailed it and was swimming away with my 25lb plus trophy. Damn lizards! Anyone up for a swap hunt?
Old 03-04-2003, 05:37 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-04-2003, 05:51 PM
VP

Down Here in South Louisiana, the skeeters are as big as the turkeys in fact we call em swamp turkeys . You NEVER leave the truck without a can of Bug spray(minimum 24oz) can for a standard 7 hr hunt. The ticks and red bugs can get pretty rough to about mid April - I' ve spooked many a Turkeys trying to blow skeeters out from under my head net ! COMEON
Old 03-08-2003, 10:03 AM

I hunt in Illinois and last spring was by far the worst time for ticks. There were so many of them you lost count. All you had to do is look at the ground and you would see them crawling around. My buck knife split quite a few in half. My dad and I bought some No Ticks stuff but it didnt really do much. They were just everywhere. WE had to put our clothes in garbage bags while we left the field so we wouldn' t get them all over the car. IT was TERRIBLE. That was the first year i saw a turkey. I hope its better this year.
Good luck to everyone.
Old 03-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Spike

Ticks and skeeters both are rough here and where I hunt in Arkansas. Permanone is the only way to go. I spray everything I wear turkey hunting from my hat and headnet all the way to my snake boots and gloves. I just spray everything a day before the season and retreat every couple of weeks. I never get a bite while turkey hunting. I do the same thing right when the early fall hunting seasons start.
Old 03-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Generally it' s not bad. In fact I hardly ever do anything other than spray my pants bottoms and boots and waist for ticks. I don' t like to get into insect repellants on me as it' ll inevidably end up on my hands and then on my mouth calls. The thing that is bad is if it' s been nice enough for the black flies to be out in NY. Then it' s a bear. I' ll carry a couple cans in the woods, spray everything and sit downwind of the fire every night just so the smoke will keep the buggers away. They are a BITCHLY.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:38 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

Here in Ky-Ticks bad-permanone gooood!