Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 need some help with my decoy fan >

need some help with my decoy fan

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

need some help with my decoy fan

Old 06-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default need some help with my decoy fan

Well while hunting this year my real fan for my b-mobile got soaked. The feathers are curling up on the edges and have pulled apart to leave a space on one side. Is there some trick to getting the feathers straight again?

I'll post a pic but I'm not sure it's close enough to see what I'm talking about..

Any ideas?

Old 06-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: need some help with my decoy fan

I wouldn't worry about the space. I'm sure that fan would be just as effective as it was before, but you might try steaming it to see if that helps any.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with RI, this won't make the decoy less effective.No need for it to be perfect. There's plenty of turkeys in the wild with some really messed up fans.When a turkey spots any part of those real feathers,he'll more than likely want a closer look, BUT not always. And sometimes, you don't even need the decoy, just putting a full fan out on a stake in the right spot can pull one in close enough for a shot, BUT not always.Here's a great example of an UGLY fan fromone I got this year, hadalmost half his tail feathers missing......no I didn't shoot them off,he was just downright ugly!haha How many did you end up with RI, 3? You had a great season! We gave em a good run!

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w131/SouthernStrut56/DSCN0110.jpg
Old 06-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

My season was kinda slow, but I did score on my last two times out. Kinda made up for it. We didn't do half bad though. Gotta let someone else win now and again, lol.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, his fan is in pretty bad shape.. Never seen one quite that bad.. He's got a really nice beard on him though..

AndI realize it don't need to be perfect, guess I just wanted to try and get it back to the way it was. Would like it to look nice for for myself I suppose.. I shot an eastern with a super nice fan this year but I decided to mount the fan/beard on a plaque vs: using it for a decoy fan..

Thanks for the replies..
Old 06-29-2008, 07:09 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Mine looks the same - comes from folding it up. I don't worry about it though just as the ohers have told you.

Or

You could replace a feather or two.

Remeber all when you asemble this not all tail feathers are the same size. Out side edges as not as long as center feathers.

JW