Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Your SWEEETEST SLATE Call >

Your SWEEETEST SLATE Call

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Your SWEEETEST SLATE Call

Old 03-01-2003, 04:20 AM
VP

Default Your SWEEETEST SLATE Call

Ok Turkey Fans, Post Away !

I might be in the Market for a new Slate and Box Call >(Like I REALLY Need another one). Lets hear about your MOST SWEETEST Call in your bag and WHAT you think is so GRAND about it ! Other then the Toms answerin it when you use it.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your SWEEETEST SLATE Call

Did you realize that a different striker on that old call could change the sound for you? I' f you wanting a friction type call , I would point the finger towards the " QuakerBoy' s Triple Threat" yes all surfaces will work different, it works in wet weather and is a great tool in a hunters vest. Look for different strikers aswell , it will change the pitch of your call. Here is a view of Custom Striker that one can collect...BT
Old 03-01-2003, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Adrian, I' m still waiting to hear about the one you call, the " BT special" , or the " BT Thunderstick" !!! Hey, if you rub two together can you start a fire!!
Old 03-01-2003, 07:28 AM

Actually I think my favorite slate call is the one I made last month. It sounds pretty good. My favorite slate " other material" call is the Knight & Hale Ol' Yeller. Very versatile call, user friendly and easy to maintain. My favorite glass call is kinda hard. I' ve been using a H.S. Strut glass for years and have called several birds in with it, nice double tone yelps and rasp, but I just got a new Doug Camp glass call and it' s a little more versatile and a lot prettier. I guess I' ll have to wait until the spring to test it
Old 03-01-2003, 08:41 AM

My favorite glass call is a Sweet Lips by Ted " Pete" Peters, which I aquired from a good friend, GobbCaller Mike [:' (]. It' s a great call, the pot is beautiful. And the strikers that Pete used to make are my favorite. They are perfectly balanced, if you ever see one, snatch it up!

As for slate, I like the Blodgett Tough Country. Great tone, soft and loud, and it' s great to look at. One particular slate call that I' ve been looking hard at is the Cane Creek Pro Custom in the yellow poplar pot. If you watch the NWTF' s television shows, Rob Keck uses one quite often.

I also like to carry an aluminum call for poor weather. Nothing fancy here, just a M.A.D Aluminator with a carbon striker.

PBB
Old 03-01-2003, 09:28 AM

an old D.D. Adams slate by Quaker Boy.

Old 03-01-2003, 11:50 AM

HS Triple Glass.

Very sweet and smooth when used with a rosewood striker. Cannot use it with high humidity though, gets too slick.

Jim
Old 03-01-2003, 05:16 PM

My sweetest slate call is probably going to be the one I just ordered last Thursday. It is an Osage Orange slate over glass from Steve Harrison of www.harrisongamecalls.homestead.com. I' ve heard quite a bit about it from others on this forum and after checking out his website, I knew I wanted either the Bocote pot or the Osage Orange. I let Steve decide for me, he thought I would like the Osage Orange the best. It sure looks sweet in the pictures! Can' t wait to get it and use it on these old Missouri longbeards this spring[:-]. As far as production calls go, I have had great success with a relatively cheap H.S. Strut Black Magic aluminum call with a rosewood striker. I believe the rosewood striker is the key with this scenario. It has been a good producer for me the last few seasons.

MTT
Old 03-01-2003, 05:53 PM

I have 2 , a slate and glass combow in walnut and a becote slate both sound great with a becote strikers and walnut strikers both made by Tim Standford in FL
Old 03-02-2003, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought one from a booth at the Harrisburg show about 8 years ago. Not sure who makes it but it is one of my best sounding slates i have for clucks and purrs... I like this call for the last 50 yards!!!!

Quick Reply: Your SWEEETEST SLATE Call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.