Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Pa bird finally taken!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default Pa bird finally taken!

Well for the first two weeks of PA's season I spent calling for other folks. Alot of my old friends from back here are glad to have me back in the turkey woods. I took an elderly gentleman that turned 69 this year and has never connected with a turkey. He and I spent quite a few days in the woods together. What an awesome experience. Even though he had not harvested a bird he still had the experience of many hours and years in the timber. Not only that he had worked with my dad for quite a few years and I got to hear stories that I am sure my dad didn't want me to know ( you know the ones where he did things that he yelled at you about while growing up). Well I did call two birds in for him but unfortunately he was turned the wrong way and couldn't get turned on them due to them only being 7 steps from us. my fault, I knew where they were coming from and neglected to turn him ahead of time. After they walked away he turned and said to me that this was the most exciting hunt he had in his hunting career.
Well after two weeks of guiding so to speak I finally took a day for myself. I had seen a long beard and a jake the day before together traveling together during a down pour. I knew where I wanted to set up the next morning. I woke up to a beautiful morning, no wind no rain and clear skies. I went to my set up which was in a tree line resembling a fence row that divided two feilds which both had food plots that I had planted before I had moved out to missouri for my 2 year vacation. I got set up and did some soft tree calling, not a peep. I waited til 518am and got a little louder with my calling, gobbbbllleee he went some where between 200-300 yards away. I debated on moving but decided against it. I waited about 2 minutes and called to him again he double gobbled at me. I got real excited by now and waited another 2 minutes and called to him again, again he double gobbled and I could tell he was on the ground and moving. I waited fo another 2 minutes or so and cutt to him loud and excited, not sure how many times he gobbled in a row but it sounded like he ran out of air he gobbled so much, and he had again moved. I thought to myself you are calling too much but I was just having to great a time listening to him gobble. I called excitedly to him again and he gobbled rapidly until again he ran out of air. At this point I pinpointed him to a corneer of the timber that met the field I had my decoys in. I then saw the head be bopping into the field. he got to about 60 yards and I cutt to him again wanting to hear that gobble that we all have come to be addicited too. He just couldn't gobble enough, he seemed to be a gobble addict. After that series of gobbles he went into full strutt and started across the field towards my jake and hen decoy. When he got to about 3 yards or so I cutt to him again to try and make him gobble but he was too intent on the decoys now. I came in and tried to linebackker hit my jake decoy. I had to wait til he turned back around and shoed me his head, (what a show, I know you know what I mean) Finally he turned and gave me the oppurtunity, BANG went the shot and down he went. I stepped to him in and admired him. I then prayed thanking Jesus for the day, for allowing me to harvest such an animal, and for keeping everyone safe. He had a 10.5" beard, 1 1/4" spurs and weighed in at 21.7lbs. Not the biggest bird I have ever gotten but what ended up really making him special was he had three white wing feathers in each wing and on pure white taile feather. I will post some picutres once I get them downloaded.
Hope you all are having or had a prosperous and safe season. God Bless you all.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pa bird finally taken!

10.5" beard and 1.25" spurs 21.7lbs... That is one heck of a trophy were I come from... Man you must be blessed with some prime private property... I just got in a hunting club on the eastern shore... So maybe I will kill some turkeys with 1.5" spurs...

Congrats on your fine gobbler...
Old 05-25-2008, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Pat,Good to have ya back in Pa. my friend.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

congrats! good PA bird!!
Old 05-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats. Cant wait to see the pics.