Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hevi Shots Egg shaped ?

Old 02-24-2003, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hevi Shots Egg shaped ?

I have read some were that hevi shot was not round that it was egg or tear drop shaped. Does anybody know whats up with that???
Old 02-24-2003, 05:19 PM

Default RE: Hevi Shots Egg shaped ?

i heard the same thing dosnt make any sence but i guess they work that way dunno why?
Old 02-24-2003, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

I read the odd shapes are a result of the manufactoring process and they tried making all the shot perfect round but it didn' t pattern much better so they left it like it was.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think i just might have to cut one of them bad boys open and take a look inside. I know i opened up a Remington, Federal and a Winchester shell a few years ago and the Remington shell was the worst one for having egg and tear droped shapped pellets. Federal was 2nd and the Winchester shells were the best all perefectly round and all the same size!!!!
Old 02-24-2003, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

let er rip
Old 02-25-2003, 08:47 AM

Yep, You' ll find egg or oval shaped pellets of varying size. This tungsten is some tough stuff to shape into small perfectly round pellets. One of the reasons the stuff is so expensive.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ken, the way I read the reason for this is the following. Lead shot is dropped from a shot tower, and by the time it falls from that height it cools, hence the lead pellets are more consistantly rounded compared to hevishot. Where as hevishot, being much " Hotter" after getting melt down would need a shot tower 10X higher than for lead. So since this would be very impracticle they just cool it by dropping it into water. They then sift it into the different sizes of shot. You' ll also note that with hevishot every pellet is a little different in size, even with a shell labeld as #6' s. Close enough comes into play here. The results at the pattern boards seem to reinforce that there isn' t anything wrong with this system they have set-up. This is how it was explained to me.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:01 PM

i heard people talkin about the heavy shot had been known to spilt barrels if not used in a remington gun with a remington choke. i don' t know the reason, or the validity but i do know the there were several manufactuers stressing to their customers not to use the heavy shot. has anyone else heard of this? it may just be some junk about remington going around, again i don' t know for sure.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

I haven' t heard that about the Remington deal you were talking about and I seriously doubt there is any truth to it. If there was a problem with that it MIGHT have been from a very tight choke tube that was not made to shoot steel shot (only lead) and it swelled it a bit.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:10 AM

you are probably right like i said i am not sure of the validity or the circumstances