Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Why Can't I Kill This Bird?!?! >

Why Can't I Kill This Bird?!?!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why Can't I Kill This Bird?!?!

Old 05-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default Why Can't I Kill This Bird?!?!

Ok guys, I have a problem. I have a real nice gobbler patterned, but he's not playing fair . First let me explain the lay of the land. I'm sitting in some small planted pines. In front of me theres a fresh clearcut, only about two acres. The clearcut is basically a big bottom, as in I can see flat ground for about thirty yards, then it drops off into a big bottom, and I can see the other side of the bottom going back up about 100 yards away. This particular bird has done the same thing to me twice in a row. I get there well before light, set up in the planted pines, and sit quietly til I hear him gobble off the roost. I respond with a flydown cackle and a soft yelp. Usually he answers this, and I'll yelp at him again, which also produces a response. Then I shut up for about three or four minutes. He's always roosted across the bottom about 150 yards away, and I can see him come out of the woods at this point and strut down into the bottom. He usually gobbles four or five times as he's coming. Then I'll yelp at him again, and when he gobbles back I'll cut him off with a loud cut, and this really cranks him up. He'll go down into the bottom where I can't see him, but from the sound of his gobbling he's about sixty yards from me. And he hangs up. He just absolutely refuses to move, and stands in that area gobbling his head off. I've tried everything I know, mouth calls, box calls, slate calls, I've even tried dragging him (moving back about a hundred yards and calling to make him think the hen is losing interest. normally gobblers give chase.) Nothing works on this bird. I know the obvious solution is to set up in the bottom where he hangs up, but I can't because that is someone elses land, and I can't get permission to hunt it. What can I do to bring this stubborn bird in? I'd really appreciate your help, because I have only one more week to kill one. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:10 PM

Default RE: Why Can't I Kill This Bird?!?!

Hes wanting you to go to him.Call one time and shut up.Hes probably a 3 or 4 year old.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Forget calling him in. You have his pattern...set up andambush his wiley butt!! More than one way to skin a turkey!!
Old 05-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

That's the only good thing about this. He's obviously an older bird that knows his way around the block, and that means two things: he's probably a very large bird, and it will be even more satisfying to kill this wise old tom.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

well first off, it sounds like youre calling TOO much, second off, try getting in closer on him while hes roosted, make sure its real early, and real quiet though
Old 05-10-2008, 08:56 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Ya know we just found a pattern and it was the real hens who told us.

We had several hens who yelped 4 times, 2 or 3 second gap yelped 4 times and then a 2 or 4 second gap yelped four more.

So after hearing these hens do that and it was 5 seperate hens - we did just that.

Only yelped 4 times - with a slinet gap - 3 times - No more - no less.

The outcome was a 23 lb bird.

JW
Old 05-11-2008, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I would call to him one time with a soft purr and then shut up! Turkey Hunting!! GOTTA LOVE IT!! Good Luck!!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 05-11-2008, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

I'm just as new at this game as you can get but do y'all think a decoy would work or is this old bird to smart to fall for that. I love this place, I learn something new everytime I log on.

God bless,

Ray
Old 05-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, you are calling too much and he knows it, problem is, now he has YOU patterned...After a bird answers, put your calls up and be quiet, the guys on TV have it made, they are selling calls and decoys and frankly, I think they are doing a dis-service to most hunters because it just doesn't usually happen that easily...If you still hunt him in the morning, move from where you have been calling and use a different call and different cadence...

Also, try hunting him during the middle of the day, once he answers, be quiet...Last year I called in a bird at 1:00pm, I called once,he answered and I killed him an hour and a half later...He gobbled 3 times during that time, all I did was rake some leaves with my hand...
Old 05-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

Yep, you are calling too much and he knows it, problem is, now he has YOU patterned...After a bird answers, put your calls up and be quiet are you saying call just once and don't call again at all? I know the importance of not over-calling, but if I just call once won't the gobbler lose interest and wander awayafter he hears no response to his gobbling?

Quick Reply: Why Can't I Kill This Bird?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.