Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Why Can't I Kill This Bird?!?! >

Why Can't I Kill This Bird?!?!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why Can't I Kill This Bird?!?!

Old 05-11-2008, 06:12 PM
JSR

Default RE: Why Can't I Kill This Bird?!?!

When you start giving him a loud cut and he gets really fired up I would shut up for at least 15 minutes. Hes on your tail and when you shut up for a bit he might get a little to curious and come in close enough for a shot. Also I know you cant set up in the bottom but ive also found it hard to call a seasoned older bird up hill. Especially if you are calling to much. He cant see whats up there and hes smart enough to not go up there and find out.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, after you call to him and he answers, he has heard you, many guys continue to call faster and louder and it's just not natural...Sure, some birds will come in with that kind of calling, but animals have their own personalities, just like people...I never could stand to be around a loud, nagging woman, sounds like he can't either, sometimes less is better...
Old 05-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

SG3,

Listen to these folks, shut up(when working a bird), what have you got to lose. Go to the second page of the turkey forum and read the info under, Need Help.

By the way, I'm also from GA.

dog1
Old 05-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

thanks guys i'll try calling less and see what happens. couldn't go chase him this morning we had a real bad lightning storm at daylight and i didn't want to be out there holding up a shotgun like a lightning rod but i will be out there after him again tomorrow morning
Old 05-11-2008, 07:32 PM

Also,use a different call everytime you set up on the same bird.They will remember the sound of a call.That one call and shut up trick has killed a ton of birds.He will come in sometimes silent looking for you.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd try finding another gobbler
Old 05-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Typical Buck

Here is some of my thoughts. My First thought would be if you can see him he can see where the Hen should be. Next would be, you say, it sounds like he is 60 Yards? Are you set up on the fence line? If not can you move up a Few Yards? also he might have Strutting area their he likes. Or it could be so thick he don't want to go into it.

Next would be that Turkeys Cannot and Do not think like humans.

If he did he would be thinking that hen is calling to much, has been their for several days. I am geting out of here, I just rememebered it Turkey Season and I am not safe. Sex is not worth losing my life over. Oh yeah, if I wait just a few days its all over.
Or maybe He thinks like this. That hen sounds Good. Oh no I see a Hunter I bet he ran my woman off, maybe she will be back?

Sorry but we give them to much. However, they have GREAT Instinks, Eye site...that I don't know how anyone can measure it. Hearing the Same! And you have heard people say if they could Smell we would never kill one. No True. we would hunt them against the Wind, with a 22-250 form a distance

All this Lip from a guy who didn't get a bird this season! Think about what I have said and if its not true forget it!

TF
Old 05-12-2008, 11:34 AM

If you are on private ground cut at him then gobble at him - should bring him in if he is the boss
Old 05-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are on private ground cut at him then gobble at him - should bring him in if he is the boss
I concur. I would try that if you havent already. Also scratch around in the leaves when he cant see you doing it. Should add a little realism.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

also check if theres thick brush, especially thngs like falled trees and limbs, out in front of you. same with fence rows, and creeks

Quick Reply: Why Can't I Kill This Bird?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.