Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Turkey spurs wore off WI... snow/ice? >

Turkey spurs wore off WI... snow/ice?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey spurs wore off WI... snow/ice?

Old 05-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Turkey spurs wore off WI... snow/ice?

ORIGINAL: Turkey Fife

FIFE- is documented the Gould's which live in rocky terrain - have very poor spurs - attributed to the fact of abbrasion in most articles I can find....
I have never seen a Gould are its Spurs. However, the one in question itdon't make sence that just one would have worn off Spurs from the Ice or Rocks? The same for the Ice, it don't make sence for One Old Bird to have Worn off Spurs JUST because the Ice was bad, Didn't all the Gobblers walk in the same Ice?. If all the Gobbles in that area has that problem then, I would say it's the Ice. Judge Judy says if it makes sence it is probably true

TF
The weather varied greatly in Wisconsin this year even within a few miles from one place to another. I suppose ice could be the issue with this turkey if its range was mostly woodlands where it had to do a large amount of scratching for acorns. I live in Grant county and all winter I would check cows on our farm and there were 20 turkeys or so under a couple of oaks. They were there everyday because they could get to the ground. If that old tom had work that hard for food it would explain the thin beard and spurs. Also when they stocked turkeys in the late 70s the
dnr introduced a few merriams in to see which would handle the climate better. That was in that area so you may have a turkey with some of those genetics in it.