Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Turkey Aging using Spurs.... >

Turkey Aging using Spurs....

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Aging using Spurs....

Old 02-05-2008, 06:16 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default Turkey Aging using Spurs....

found this int he TN regs....

I don't agree with it........

Agree with the 1 yr mark but the 2 year mark can go to an inch but should alos say the end is rounded and not sharp or to a point.
3 years is okay but again should say the tip to a point.
4 yrs - sharp and slightly hooked.

What have you guys seen....agree or disagree...

JW

Old 02-05-2008, 07:31 AM

Default RE: Turkey Aging using Spurs....

I believe its a regional thing.Most 2 yearolds here have 3/4 to 1in spurs.Them lenghts need to be bumped up a bit.2yr-5/8 to 1in.3yr 1in to 1 1/4.4yr-1 1/4 plus.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

Don't really matter. When you're putting a tag on a Tom...
he's as old as he's gonna get.
The rest is just story material.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

From what I gather, anything over 1" in length is anyone's guess on actually how old the bird is. So I don't believe that an accurate indication is possible going with that method. My view on it.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:51 AM

I killed a bird that had 1 1/8" spurs and hewas two or three but mostlikely three.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

it really depends on the terrain theyre in, and how aggressive fighters they are. the spurs, just like the beard, can get worn from a lot of rocks. i think even then though these are wrong.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JW!

found this int he TN regs....

I don't agree with it........

Agree with the 1 yr mark but the 2 year mark can go to an inch but should alos say the end is rounded and not sharp or to a point.
3 years is okay but again should say the tip to a point.
4 yrs - sharp and slightly hooked
I agree with ya JW...Thats about how I see it too...
Old 02-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: xXxrory7xXx

it really depends on the terrain theyre in, and how aggressive fighters they are. the spurs, just like the beard, can get worn from a lot of rocks.

See we do agree on stuff.. maybe not running and gunning... but you're right on there Rory

In my part of the world, which is flat and sandy, and or just farm dirt, but really no rocks.... tons of hens to boot.... that chart is relatively accurate in my experience.

Jakes will have Nubs
2yo will have rounded, dull spurs less than 1" in length.. usually 7/8"
3 yo will have a sharp spur, typically 1" long, though it depends on if he hatched early or late... can be a sharp 7/8" or up to about 1 1/8"
4 yo will be 1 1/4 or more... some are sharp... some are slightly worn. When they get to this age.. the way they act will usually tell you as much about their age as anything.
5yo we are looking at the 1 3/8 to 1 1/2" range... starting to get into the big boys. Anythng older than that may well be anybody's guess. The general rule of thumb is between 1/8" to 1/4" of growth per year... its not a perfect yardstick.. but it will let you tell the difference between a 2 year old and a 4 year old. And as Rory pointed out... with Rios.. where you have lots of competetion for hens... and with Meriams and Easterns around rocks and in the mountains... all bets can be off.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: xXxrory7xXx

it really depends on the terrain theyre in, and how aggressive fighters they are. the spurs, just like the beard, can get worn from a lot of rocks.

See we do agree on stuff.. maybe not running and gunning... but you're right on there Rory

In my part of the world, which is flat and sandy, and or just farm dirt, but really no rocks.... tons of hens to boot.... that chart is relatively accurate in my experience.

Jakes will have Nubs
2yo will have rounded, dull spurs less than 1" in length.. usually 7/8"
3 yo will have a sharp spur, typically 1" long, though it depends on if he hatched early or late... can be a sharp 7/8" or up to about 1 1/8"
4 yo will be 1 1/4 or more... some are sharp... some are slightly worn. When they get to this age.. the way they act will usually tell you as much about their age as anything.
5yo we are looking at the 1 3/8 to 1 1/2" range... starting to get into the big boys. Anythng older than that may well be anybody's guess. The general rule of thumb is between 1/8" to 1/4" of growth per year... its not a perfect yardstick.. but it will let you tell the difference between a 2 year old and a 4 year old. And as Rory pointed out... with Rios.. where you have lots of competetion for hens... and with Meriams and Easterns around rocks and in the mountains... all bets can be off.
thats good we agree on this, where do you live at? cause i only know of a couple of parts of a couple of states where the ducks dont go no more
Old 02-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with ya JW...

Quick Reply: Turkey Aging using Spurs....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.