Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

camo ole yeller

Old 04-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default camo ole yeller

so i finally decided to break down and try to replace the ole faithful ORIGINAL green pot ole yeller...i think i got it sanded too thin...starting to squeak and not sound as good as it once did and ive ran a dozen strikers over it...

found a camo potted ole yeller..figured same surface...aughta sound the same...

thus far, im kinda disappointed...i dont think the call has a sound board in it..it sounds hollow and kinda odd if you run it hard and loud...toned down it dont sound bad...

anyone have the camo potted ole yeller? i gotta play with it some more...but im kinda disappointed right now...

the original was just so good to me and sounded awesome...i shoulda bought 10 of them lol...that surface seems to take a little extra sanding than slate and glass...and seemed kinda thin to begin with...im pretty sure thats why mine isnt sounding too good...

hmmm maybe i can take the new surface out and put it in the old pot?!? lol...hmmm
Old 04-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: camo ole yeller

Here's my fix.... maybe after this I'll make a thread about call tuning...
I too had an original ol yeller, I love that slate... then it broke, Bought another and it too(like yours) sounding very hollow in the woods... so I tuned it up...
When I tuned this slate, I rolled up some rubber electrical tape and shoved it in the holes, then put tape over it to hold the new rubber posts against the sound board.
It may take a few to get it right, Here's a new Yella Hammer that would make Harold Knight gasp....

Old 04-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Finished product

Old 04-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx kingvjack...will save me from just giving up on it...actually think something like that aughta work..kill some of the vibration maybe..it really seems to vibrate TOO much..really think a sound board would make it sing..and maybe its that new spin welding mumbo jumbo instead of typical gluing...

would love to hear the ole yeller in the cherry pot..but dont wanna cough up 35$ for it to sound bad...just like wood pots...

thanx for the tip...i'll have to try it
Old 04-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'll have to keep that in mind as well. my ol yeller isn't gone yet but one day it will be. thanks
Old 04-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

seems theres a good bit of original ole yeller fans...im the guy that would honestly drop 100+ on a good custom call...thats just me..i like a good sounding call..something easy to run...something purdy to look at....ive played with the customs...the ole yeller, while not purdy to look at, it was simple to run and always sounded great...from low clucks and purrs to loud cutts and yelps...just an awesome call...awesome price...

going to take some rigging to try something like Kingv did...my sound ports are actually slots..not circular holes...i looked in the slots though...doesnt look to be anything in there...just the surface over the pot...no way to get the surface out either lol..its in there some new way...still going to try kingvs method...
Old 04-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

Ive been in love with my ol yeller call since I bought it!!!! So have the birds! I got a purple heart striker that hits the sweet spot on that call, that this year seems to be what the birds are responding too the best. I only had to make minor adjustments to the call to get the pitch and such I wanted as far as tuning with the bottom holes goes. Not much. Sounded pretty good out of the package.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

IF you like the old yeller, you should like the primos power crystal. They sound very similar to me, but thats just me throwng ut a suggestion. Good Luck Mauser

Old 04-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

oneshot, my buddy has the power crystal and i did like the sounds of it...but already have a good cody glass call that has a pretty similar sound...i thought it sounded good, but didnt have the same sound as the ole yeller...that slatek just has a sound of its own to my ears...

if i cant get the ole yeller to work im gunna find me a custom...or Talkin Stick is made not far from me and a small bait shop has them to play with and a couple of them sounded sweet last time i was in there...

i really need a hobby lathe so i can build my own!! made 2 pots in shop class...broke the surfaces trying to perfect the sound boards...never got around to ordering more surfaces...

im pretty picky when it comes to my turkey calls lol...im not the best caller...but with calls i like, i like to think i can talk sweet turkey talk..
Old 04-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'm thinking about finding every one i can and buy em all and stockpile em.