Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Roosting a Tom

Old 04-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Spike

Default Roosting a Tom

I was hoping some of you guys could give up some tips/advice for roosting?

Thanks!!
Old 04-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Roosting a Tom

roosting a turkey is fairly simple. find a high point in the land. arrive about 30 min before dusk and listen. you can use a locator call to pinpoint the birds exact position. but if it is goin to be really windy during the night the birds could change trees.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Spike

Thanks for the help mohunter82. We're heading out in about an hour so I will keep your tips in mind.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:51 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I look for likely roost trees and then stay at least 100 or so yards away - You can hear fly-ups quite some distance. You will hear wing flaps and then broken branches as the birds fly-up. I don't use locator calls and have not had that much success getting them to gobble. The way I look at it if they are hens - the Toms is not too far away.

But be carefull - I have had fly-ups virtually on the tree I was leaning against. Had to sit there way past dark oh thirty - can crawl out after 2 deer walked about 5 ft away......that was a long wait/sit - but I made it out and did not spook those birds.

In my neck fo the woods - Mich/Wisc - I hit my spot to roost about 6:30 - Fly-ups happen between 7:30 to 8:00 Pm - best time is the last 10 minutes of daylight. Another thing is birds do feed heavily before fly-up and start between 3 to 5 PM. I go scout fields or sit fields - you will see the woods edge they will go to and can bet fly-ups are not all tha far behind.

JW