Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Jakes and gobblers together >

Jakes and gobblers together

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Jakes and gobblers together

Old 04-21-2008, 07:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Jakes and gobblers together

I've got a group of birds I'm hunting.....and I need to hear your opinions on strategy.

I'm hunting them from a 10 acre woodlot. The last few times I've hunted them.....they've come from the roost....across a field.....and they've strutted alongside this woodlot in the mornings.

The jakes are with the gobblers.

1. Will the jakes eventually leave the gobblers?
2. What decoy setup would you try to get these birds fired up?

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Jakes and gobblers together

Jeff,

As you know 10 acres is not a lot of area to work birds, which can be both good and bad. I too have found jakes with gobblers at this time of the season here in IL (early). I would THINK that later in the season as competition for hens gets more fierce, that the jakes would be booted. I am sure there are exceptions, but this is what I have found in my area.

For the decoys, I think a jake is VERY effective. I would use a hen in the breeding position in front of a Jake. With another Jake off to the side.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Old 04-21-2008, 07:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I have more access.....but the truth is....I'm bowhunting from a blind.....and I may as well be on a .10 acre....lol.

I've made my bed.....
Old 04-21-2008, 08:17 AM

ORIGINAL: ICALL2MUCH

Jeff,

As you know 10 acres is not a lot of area to work birds, which can be both good and bad. I too have found jakes with gobblers at this time of the season here in IL (early). I would THINK that later in the season as competition for hens gets more fierce, that the jakes would be booted. I am sure there are exceptions, but this is what I have found in my area.

For the decoys, I think a jake is VERY effective. I would use a hen in the breeding position in front of a Jake. With another Jake off to the side.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
x2
Old 04-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have spot to get a bowshot on a bird that has Jakes with him... Just put a hen out there... I pointher towards me soit look likeshe is walking away from the gobblers no matter if they come in from the left or the right. The Jakes are probably not gonna split... especially if there is a bunch of em... Gobbler would have to spend too much time chasing them away.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Dominant Buck

If you have spot to get a bowshot on a bird that has Jakes with him... Just put a hen out there... I pointher towards me soit look likeshe is walking away from the gobblers no matter if they come in from the left or the right.
This is exactly what I've been doing.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

My son and I turned a corner the other day walking back to teh truck and found 7 birds in the path, 3 jakes and 4 long beards. I did not think they would still be together now. I am going back this Sat., a week later and going after them in the same area.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

count your stars...i'll take jakes mingling with longbeards over henned up longbeards any day!!

i know what you mean though..when they are like that it can be hard to get them fired up...i seem to have that problem early in the season like icall2much said...

just saturday i took a JR and thought for sure we had a dead bird...loner on my ridge with 5 or 6 others on the far ridge...figured they had the hens..the one i was close to didnt and would most likely come in on a string...HA! he gobbled the whole way...came within 60yds or so then went to the gobblers!

i really dont know what to do in similar situations...i know its frustrating..like they want nothing to do with a hen call...

just stay patient and persistant...

in your situation....is there any way to get the blind setup in the area they are naturally pitching down to?? if so..get in there...dont make a peep till they hit the ground...when they are on the ground start off soft..if that dont work try getting excited and loud..about the only idea i have...

i still cant bring myself to bowhunting turkeys...kudos to you buddy...i just feel that the odds would be much more against me because of my hunting style...no blinds..no decoys...98% of the time no fields...

could hunt fields..could use blinds and decoys...but this is my hunting style...working active gobblers..i say sitting there and waiting is for deer season...but everyone enjoys something different..still kicking around the idea of taking the bow out and trying my luck sooner or later...who says i CANT do it hunting how i do with a bow!?!?
Old 04-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would use a Tom decoy, mating with the hen. You got a jake last year right, so I am assuming that you only want a tom. This should make the bass bird mad enough to come in and try to win his hen back. It should also get rid of the small jakes and take some eyes away from around you.
Brent
Old 04-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

count your stars...i'll take jakes mingling with longbeards over henned up longbeards any day!!

i know what you mean though..when they are like that it can be hard to get them fired up...i seem to have that problem early in the season like icall2much said...

just saturday i took a JR and thought for sure we had a dead bird...loner on my ridge with 5 or 6 others on the far ridge...figured they had the hens..the one i was close to didnt and would most likely come in on a string...HA! he gobbled the whole way...came within 60yds or so then went to the gobblers!

i really dont know what to do in similar situations...i know its frustrating..like they want nothing to do with a hen call...

just stay patient and persistant...

in your situation....is there any way to get the blind setup in the area they are naturally pitching down to?? if so..get in there...dont make a peep till they hit the ground...when they are on the ground start off soft..if that dont work try getting excited and loud..about the only idea i have...

i still cant bring myself to bowhunting turkeys...kudos to you buddy...i just feel that the odds would be much more against me because of my hunting style...no blinds..no decoys...98% of the time no fields...

could hunt fields..could use blinds and decoys...but this is my hunting style...working active gobblers..i say sitting there and waiting is for deer season...but everyone enjoys something different..still kicking around the idea of taking the bow out and trying my luck sooner or later...who says i CANT do it hunting how i do with a bow!?!?
Count your blessings! I wish I could move on birds. I hunt a large field, w/ noaccess to the woods and ravines where the birds roost (wildlife sanctuary/no hunting) they are very hesitant to cross the fence and go into the fields at times.

Quick Reply: Jakes and gobblers together

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.