Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Using Mouth Calls

Old 04-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Using Mouth Calls

I am trying to learn how to use a mouth call, for turkeys but I cant seem to get it right. I can get sounds out of it but I cant get any thing that sounds like a turkey. Any suggestions, hints?
Old 04-05-2008, 03:23 PM

Default RE: Using Mouth Calls

Time and practice.

What your going through is perfectly normal, everyone does it.
Everyones mouth is different, place it where its comfortable and where you can control the most air over it. Try saying a word without using your voice, just huff the word, I like "welp", or "yelp". These two words help to drop your jaw at the end and give you the 2 tone yelp,"Keeyuk". Practice practice practice.

Your probably not using enough pressure with your tongue and getting a lot of vibration, or maybe your using too much and getting a lot of squeaks and spit. Try adjusting your air huffs and tongue pressure until you can make turkey talk.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:46 PM

I have been trying to get good at one for a few years now, it take hours of practice. Every time you get in your vehicle (alone) pop it in and practice. Even now the only time I use one is when he is rushing in and I have to be ready to shoot. Even then the only thing I do is give a few reassuring clucks.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Huff the air like was stated earlier.The aircomes from the diaphragm not the mouth.
Open and close your mouth with each sound. That keeps the yelps and cuts from running together. For loud clucks try building up a little air in your mouth then pop it out with some force. Forsoft clucks try a little less air and a little less force.
Tongue pressure and tongue placement is key. Try moving your tongue back and forth on the reeds till you find that spot that gives you the sound you want. Also try more or less pressure with the tongue. It will take some time to get it figured out. Good luck.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

they pretty much said everything above! It takes tons of practice to get it perfect, it took me over 5 hours! good luck
Old 04-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingbuddy419

I am trying to learn how to use a mouth call, for turkeys but I cant seem to get it right. I can get sounds out of it but I cant get any thing that sounds like a turkey. Any suggestions, hints?

What call are you using? The type of call makes a huge difference. You should hopefully be using a two reed call.... something like the Old Boss Hen from Quaker Boy. Only advice I can give you other than that is just to mess around with it until you find what works. I learned when I was 8 and was passable by age 10 (passable for turkey's ain't saying much... I've heard some pretty sorry sounding live hens.... but hey.... it is the real thing).
Old 04-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Spike

hunting buddy, i learned how to yelp and cluck in one day, it really was pretty easy for me after trying for a year with no luck. I went on you tube and found some guy giving instructions that made all the difference. Basically, place the call in your mouth with horseshoe open facing foward, apply pressure with your tongue while you blow air out of your throat (akin to clearing phlem from a bad cold, huuuhuuum sound), when you do this try to make a continuous high pitched tone. Once you've got the note relax your jaw and tongue slowly until the pitch lowers. There will be two lower pitches; one that is a dischordant two note sound, then lower to a consistance lower tone. The higher pitch to the lower pitch is the basic progression of a "yelp". Once you find the pressure differences b/t the high and low note you slowly increase the tempo at which you start and relax your jaw, your tongue will follow. The cluck I keep my lips closed until my cheeks fill with air then relaxing my lips in a "pluck" motion I've got a cluck. Seriously, I was able to do all of this in a matter of minutes. Now, three weeks later, I yelp, cut, cluck, purr( same as with gargling with a little air pressure, this took a few days to get), crow call, and I've been working on trying to emmulate a gobble. Sounds like jake with a cold. Hope this helps, it did me. Or you can to go toyou tube and search, i think, i used turkey sounds-how-to or something like that.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:13 AM

What SwampCollie said. I find Quaker Boy calls to be one of the easiest calls to "Break in" Primos I find it takes more time to develop a good sound.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am trying on a primos, that came with their video Mastering the Art. I dont think Will Primos does a good job of explaining how to do a mouth call. I like the video dont get me wrong. But there are just somethings people now how to better than others.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Typical Buck

Time and practice.

What your going through is perfectly normal, everyone does it.
Everyones mouth is different, place it where its comfortable and where you can control the most air over it. Try saying a word without using your voice, just huff the word, I like "welp", or "yelp". These two words help to drop your jaw at the end and give you the 2 tone yelp,"Keeyuk". Practice practice practice.

Your probably not using enough pressure with your tongue and getting a lot of vibration, or maybe your using too much and getting a lot of squeaks and spit. Try adjusting your air huffs and tongue pressure until you can make turkey talk.
I agree with this guy and the Vido on UTube as well. They guy that mentioned utube it sounder a little complicated to me.

BUT THE ONE WORD OF ADVICE I WILL GIVE IS......

DON'T GIVE UP!