Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Rainy days

Old 04-04-2008, 01:45 PM

Default Rainy days

I've never killed a bird on a day that wasn't a blue bird condition day. Does your success rate drop thatsignificantly on rainy(not downpour) days afield?
Old 04-04-2008, 02:58 PM

Default RE: Rainy days

No,
You have to adjust.Go to the fields and open areas when its raining.If bird gobbles on the roost and its raining or cloudy,get between the tom and the nearest opening or field.Ive killed 3 toms since sunday,and its rained everyday.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you deffinately need to be in a feild on a rainy day. Ive been close to killing one in a downpour and i was in a feild.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Of the 100 or so that I have killed I am going to say more than half were killed in the rain. The birds do not go anywhere. You just have to change the way you hunt them.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:51 PM

They are easy to locate...Look for the umbrellas...
Yes, they do go to fields in the rain...if you are in the woods when it is windy be careful not to set under dead trees or limbs. Something I learned a few years ago....
Old 04-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

Agree with everything above!!

My numbers stay the same, but my tactics certainly change!!

Good luck!
Old 04-05-2008, 08:15 AM

I am a self taught turkey hunter learning asI go. I've shot 6 turkeys in the 9 years I've been hunting these crazy birds and none of them have been in the rain, although one was ina foggy morning and onewas early morning after it had just quit raining. It's not because I don't go out in the rain. I'll go out in ANYTHING. Rain, wind, snow, I've sat through them all. During our four week season, I typically am able to hunt 3 days a week from start to noon finishand then pick up one or two2 hour hunts before work during midweek. I am blessed that I have several different areas to hunt. So I am out there all or part of 4-5days/week for four weeks. I've called in jakes and hens in the rain, but I've never seen a gobbler. I mostly visit fields in the rain because that's what I've been told to do. I've never seen a mature gobbler in the field in the rain. I've tried the woods too, but so far no success.

I'm not going to let rain keep me from the woods, but yes, my success rate is horrible in the rain.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

I have killed 3 toms in the rain and only one was in a field. Last weekend i took my little brother out and he killed a nice 3 year old 10"bird in the rain. Also called up 2 more toms and 5 hens. I change my tactics but i love hunting in the rain. You can tell it was really cloudy and the ground is wet in the pic below, but i waited till after it was raining before taking the pic so i didnt get my camera wet.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:42 AM

They wont gobble in the rain, but they will still come to calling. If you cant find a feild usually the next best thing is an old logging road. They wont be nowhere where it is thick. I would also suggest using a mouth call because it will be hard to keep your slate dry.