Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Domestic dogs

Old 04-03-2008, 07:52 PM

Default Domestic dogs

The same problem I have during deer season repeats itself now during turkey season. There is a small neighborhood down the road a few miles from my hunting land.More and more I am seeing domestic dogs running loose through my property. I have had them run deer off my food plots while I am hunting, I hear them crashing through the woods and barking. Now this morning three ( 1 w/ a collar 2 w/o ) come sniffing right past me while I am calling. There is a leash law in my county, but we have no dog catcher. There is a law on the books in GA sayiny you can shoot a roaming dog for disturbing your hunting if it is not wearing a collar.Ifeel sure these dog have owners who are probally ingorant to their ramblings around. I defiently dont like the idea of just shooting a dog much less someones pet, but they are destroyingmany of my hunts ( i see far less deer since this has been going on), what would yall do shoot em or what. I dont have time tolocate and notify each owner. ???????
Old 04-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Domestic dogs

well id leash them all up and put them in my car and drive them to your nearest pound and give them up, or put them in the houses tied to a post with a sign saying 'keep them home or i wont be nice next time'
Old 04-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

couldn't say it any better myself huntnteen
Old 04-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was a kid the local farmer that let me hunt his property would pay me for shooting stray dogs and coyotes.... No more worrying about poochy
Old 04-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've done my share of cold hearted things in my life... and there is positively nothing I hate worse than deer dogs gone feral running pregnant does through our farm during April.... but near a neighborhood (I am not) is a different story. The older I get, the more of a wuss I become, and I just don't have the heart to drop the hammer on a dog anymore, unless it is in very poor condition, or some other justifiable circumstance. In VA, killing a dog is a felony offence, and is not justifiable ever, save a very few conditions.... for example, any dog running/chasing/harrassing your livestock may be dealt with firmly and finally (thats the case in most places).

What I would do is try and catch the one with the collar, and take it to its owner. Feel the situation out. If its bubba... who just doesn't care and won't do anything about it... next time... to the pound.... while you are there, ask him/her about the other dogs you have been seeing... maybe their neighbors or what not.... explain your situation, don't be a jerk about it, though I know how frustrating it is... usually just letting someone know what the problem is will be enough to get it taken care of so its best for you, the dog and the dogs owner. An ounce of prevention is worth more than 2 ounces of #6s you know....
Old 04-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

I've had a problem. Caught the dog and tied it to a telephone pole by the road. Even out a bowl of water beside it so nobody could say it was cruel. No doubt the owner who picked it up from the road side got the message. hasn't been back.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:17 AM

Try to catch them in live animal traps, give them 1 chance. Only 1. Its not the dogs fault, its the owners. Dont take your frustrations out on the dogs, they dont know what they are doing is wrong. Take them back to the owner if possible and ask that they keep an eye on the dog. If it happens again, take them off to a animal shelter/pound and mail the collar back to the owner and tell them where they can find their dog.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if I would whack one anymore due to where I live, but back then, if the land owner told me he wanted me to kill crap.... It died... I shoot coyotes now.. the meanest thing I do with them is tie em off in a tree and wait for his brothers and sisters to come calling, then I wack them too.. especially now with the denning season in swing..
Old 04-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not all the time is it the owners that are letting them out. Thier children or someone that had come to visit them do by accident though. I have that problem with a dog nearby and I know what the situation is. They have a son and when a friend goes over to play with him opens the door shhooowwwssshhh out the door the dog goes. They have a runner that they hook the dog to but if the childs friend lets it out by accident by the time they know it got loose the dog has already run to it's hearts content. By then they have little idea on where to find it. If i am out and about i try to get it to stay around so the owners can get it back quicker. But again i do not know of your situation so it would be hard to say what the case may or may not be. Either wayI can not shoot someones dog and as another stated here it is a felony if you get caught...
Old 04-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own an exotic bird farm, and we have a huge dog and cat problem. I had a dog doo $500 worth of damage. I give each dog one chance, next time its dead. I don't like to do it, but I don't like to see my birds being killed. We alse have a hawk and owl problem, sometimes eagles, but there isn't anything you can do about that.

Quick Reply: Domestic dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.