Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Day 2 with a question

Old 04-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Day 2 with a question

Well, I parked my truck at 6:00 gettign ready for the 1 1/2 hike..when all of a sudden a cravan pulls up..I said , "How far are you guys going?" They named th eexact place I was heading..[]

However; they were ethical hunters and said they would hunt a few hundred yds farther. I thought that wsa nice.
Anyway..my calling yielded nothing today..I heard nothing either .

Question ..How long do you guys stay when you are hearing nothing?

PS I did hear one thing..a big oledeer smelled me and snorted loudly.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:49 AM

Default RE: Day 2 with a question

If i aint hearin nothin im ussually walking and hitting a bow call every 200 yards. if this doesnt work then it is time to get in the truck and driving to find a bird out in a field.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:56 AM

I stay till I hear something or the time runs out.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:05 AM

If I know where I am set up is a place where turkeys come every day I will stay until I know the turkeys have roosted. If it seams they are notresponding I would use some locater calls before I would move, but the first day I would stay put and not move.Then when I know they must have roosted I would do some locator's calls to find em for the next day.

If I think it's a good turkey area but I don't know there patterns I would first locate them on the roost if poss. The rest all depends on a lot of variables.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Question ..How long do you guys stay when you are hearing nothing?
First of all, how do you know if there are turkeys in the area? Did you locate their Roost early that morning before fly downor their Roostat dusk the day before? Did you find fresh droppings and feathers under a tree? Did you hear a fly down?.........

Chuck, assuming thatyou said yes to one above..........If you have called for at least 45mins every 5 to 7 mins apartand no answer, try one ofyour Locator calls, ( Hawk, Owl or Crow), for another 15 mins every 4 to 5 mins apart. If you do not hear anything after all your calling and locating, consider moving to another promising spot!

I don't like to hunt turkeys just by chance!........I like to hunt them and kill them within 40yds or closer.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks fellows,
C7
Old 04-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

By the way...Congrats on that turkey!! You're a fanatic now for sure....

I "might" would have told them that I had busted them up there the day before, so maybe they would have changed locations...This "might" work, or might send them there even faster...It's real hard to figure what public land hunters will do...

I'd hit it again tomorrow...Turkeys are as hard to figure out as women, never really know what they are going to do...

We have all seen it like you had it yesterday...They respond beautifully to our "expert" calling...
Next time, they ignore us!!!

You might try going in about 10:00am, let the tom spend some time with the hens, then he goes looking for another, that's when he is more likely to come to a call...

btw...can you hunt after 12??? That helps...Good Luck
Old 04-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Dominant Buck

You might try going in about 10:00am, let the tom spend some time with the hens, then he goes looking for another, that's when he is more likely to come to a call... Is this true??

btw...can you hunt after 12??? no sir..no shooting after 1:00 PM
That helps...Good Luck
I appreciate all the repies..bunch of good people here..

Old 04-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well....It ain't April Fools, and I'm not prone to lying....

Yep, it's true...Here in NC we can hunt all day and especially after the first 2 weeks it seems as if the woods is empty (of hunters) after 10, because they have burned themselves out...It's then time to hunt during the middle of the day...