Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

To shoot or not

Old 03-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Spike

Default To shoot or not

I know, two post in such short period of time, a noobie and so many questions. This past Sat.,hunting with my father, i called a jake to within 10 yards of our blind where our two hen decoys were. He hung around us for approx. 5 mins before wandering off. My father decided that he wouldn't shoot b/c we thought he wastoo young with a beard that looked maybe 2 in. long if you pulled on it; BUT he made our decoys look so small we weren't sure if he was actually an older bird or not. Is there a rule of thumb to follow as to ageing a bird in the field like with whitetails?

Old 03-31-2008, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: To shoot or not

I'd bet he was still a younger bird...I wouldn't have shot...If a turkey's beard isn't 8 inches or so, I hold off...That being said, with you being a newer hunter, shoot what you want...
Old 03-31-2008, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

I would have looked at his spurs. At 10 yards you could see them. That would have told you his age for sure...
Old 03-31-2008, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I had my bow with me I would, I would shoot anything with my bow.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

i wouldn't have shot either. the beard sounded like it was way to short and most decoys compared to actual turkey's are always small. Jdge a bird by it's beard which should be 8in. on a mature bird. and if the spurs are fairly long on little stubs
Old 03-31-2008, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

well, i used to shoot jakes but im trying to break the habit, but if i have a first time hunter with me or someone who has never gotten a bird i encourage thhem to shoot anything thats legal
Old 03-31-2008, 06:53 PM

Just this past opening morning my grandfather harvested a nice bird and it's beard was only 3in but his spurs were 1 1/4 long...Don't know what made him have such a short beard we were guessing mites or something like that,so maybe that wasthe same case in the turkey you saw,but if you could have seen his spurs then you would have been able to tell like everyone else said
Old 03-31-2008, 07:03 PM

Alot of dekes are a little smaller than life sized birds mainly depending on the brand. I have noticed hens walk through my dekes that makes them look very small. The spurs are a definate age indicator. On the other hand that was some good self control not to bust one at ten yds assuming you have never pulled the trigger on one, wish more people had self control like that.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Beards are not a judging factor. Yes everyone likes to have a nice beard on their bird but spurs are where its at. Im including me on the beard part. But like I said spurs will tell the age of the bird. That is if you have a close encounter. Sometimes beards get beard rot, sometimes they break off from freezing. The spurs are a tell tale sign of the age of a bird...JMHO
Old 03-31-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah beard arent always the inicater of age, last year i got a bird that had a 9" beard, so you all would have shot it right? now guess how long the spurs were?......................................gues what YOUR WRONG it barely had numbs that measured 2mm and then my brother-in-laws first bird had a 4"beard and 1.25"spurs

Quick Reply: To shoot or not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.