Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Public land..... Slobs

Old 04-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Public land..... Slobs

<rant>
So, there are a group of folks I call Slobs...They run around on public hunting ground trying to score birds... They show up real late... don't know where to go... end up either in some strange place... don't scout, can't call, walk onto another man's decoy spread or whatever else they can possibly do to screw up a descent hunt...
If any of these traits pertain to you... Do the rest of us a favor and keep your ass at home...
</rant>
Today was an awesome day for the bow opener here in Kansas, just to start it off with slobs... I actually had one guy walk right past my decoys with an owl hooter.... never saw me... or my decoys.... slobs...
I am going to really start pounding proper hunting techniques on people...
Today was the biggest let down I've ever had hunting, and it was due to my fellow hunters, people who share our "rights" with us and have no clue what its all about...
Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Public land..... Slobs

oh the joys of public land.......
Old 04-02-2008, 03:06 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Well look at it this way - you are still with us! Slobs - lead to accidents.

me - as he hooted by - probably would of told him Owl season is not open!

JW
Old 04-02-2008, 03:18 AM
Typical Buck

How observant can someone be to walk into a guys set up, never see him or the turkeys that are sitting right there.....and we wonder why tigers eat their young????
Old 04-02-2008, 04:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

isnt just a public land problem...ive had it happen on private land as well.

gets old....but really, theres not much that can be done. i dont own the birds...they have as much right as me to be there...

i think the problem is everyone wanting to be a turkey hunter...but not many take the time to learn the ropes of the game before jumping in. they can goto walmart and grab some calls and a shotgun and all the sudden they are turkey hunters.

the only thing that ive found that helps is hunting birds that others most likely wont find or wont walk to. yes..that means getting up even earlier...hiking even farther...my favorite spot is probably dang near close to 2 miles from the truck. sad thing is i STILL find slobs!! one year dad had a longbeard about to shake hands with me...i could hear him scratching and strutting just around the bend 45yds out on a logging road gobbling his head off. then he shut up...dad and i couldnt figure it out...then we saw the sillouete of a hunter, no requiered orange on, sneaking across the logging road..

another time back there, i had a bird going BONKERS..closed the distance in NO time..he had to be running through the woods to me..it was late..probably after 10am..i was pumped...one of those times you just almost KNOW hes gunna be on your lap quick...then i heard a gun shot..so close i could hear the pump action on the guys gun!!! i put on my orange and stood up and walked to the edge of the hill..the guy had to be there somewhere...i wanted to see the bird and talk to him and either congradulate him and appologize to him or chew him out...im almost 10000% sure he snuck in and whacked the bird out from under me...but wanted to make sure i didnt sneak into his setup...i never heard him call and was setup 15-20 minutes or more...he HEARD me calling. he knew what he did...he had to be hiding down there till i left...

i can go on for days....but no sense in it...just makes something tough even tougher....
Old 04-02-2008, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a guy walk by me once last year in blue jeans and a red t shirt... said the guy on the radio said it was Morell Mushroom season and that every needed to hit the woods and look for mushrooms....
So he did.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

it's a free country and not everyone starts out hunting
knowing everything there is to know. i prolly pissed alot of people off but i'm not about to stay home.the only way to learn is to do it. and please don't confuse SLOB with inexperienced !
Old 04-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: kingvjack

<rant>
So, there are a group of folks I call Slobs...They run around on public hunting ground trying to score birds... They show up real late... don't know where to go... end up either in some strange place... don't scout, can't call, walk onto another man's decoy spread or whatever else they can possibly do to screw up a descent hunt...
If any of these traits pertain to you... Do the rest of us a favor and keep your ass at home...
</rant>
I couldn't agree more with this post. Couldn't agree more. There is a group of hunters I can easily call SLOBS.

I decided to hunt the opener in Georgia on some public land that has been productive in the past. My buddy was very diligent about scouting and picking out a dream spotalonga dependable travel route. We set up next to a downed log and were sitting still at 5:45 - an hour and a half before daylight. Well, at about 6:45 (sun is nowhere near up) some a** starts wearing out the slate call. After about 30 minutes of thisMISERABLE calling - somewhere near daybreak, this jacka** starts on the crow call and is just wearing it out. My friend and I sat in dissapointed amazement as we watched out 2008 opener go down the drain. Mercifully, at about 7:45, this guys walked off to another spot - we could hear him tromping away. For 30 minutes after his departure we sat silent. We then started some very light, very soft clucking and purring on a diaphram. Lo and behold here comes a wad of turkeys led by a boss hen. They were coming on a string and then suddenlyall of their heads popped up looking past us. Theyimmediately turned around and left the way they came. Well, sure enough about 5 minuteslater, Johnny Jacka** comes walking up through the woodsand walks THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF MY DECOY SPREAD. My buddy and I packed it up about 15 minutes later. I have had TONS of experiences just like this on public land. I don't know why I hunt turkeys on public land. I just get too upset with other folks' bad manners.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

dog_killer,

Yes it is a free country, but also don't confuse inexperienced with inconsiderate. If you manage to stay with the hunting thing, someday the same thing that has happened to every other hunterwriting on this thread involving inconsideratehunters is going to happento you.After all the hard work in preparing for the season, countless hours of scouting to get everything just right, will be screwedup by some inconsiderateRichard(nickname) much like yourself. Then see how you feel. Have fun
Old 04-02-2008, 08:59 AM

I can relate to your problems on private and public land. Twice I had guys come to (my) scouted roosted gobbling bird to try to shoot them out of the tree. One shot from 70-80 yards away. Another time I had a guy come running, lost and yelling during fall season while I had a boss gobbler at thirty yards coming out of the brush. He said he was so glad I was a hunter and not a real turkey......

I had to yell at three guys crawling upon my decoys with the guns ready....and there was this guy who shot from 70+ yards at a gobbler which was approaching my calling and holding its head just above a slight grade...one more step by the turkey and I could see his beard....

Not to mention the times guys try to move in on a gobbler when they know you are working the bird ....once with my decoys setting in plain site in a field....

Then the two guys on a 4 wheeler came racing through the woods toward a gobbler I had been exchanging calls with for 45 minutes....they said they just wanted to see how big the birds was....

Guys who hear your hen calls...call back and start moving in on my location..

And don't forget the road hunters which drive around to locate a calling bird so they can jump out of they car and go running at the bird while their driver waits. I swear I can hear the yell "Charge."

This not to mention coyote, foxes, a bull and dog interference.....

Yes, I can relate.

Quick Reply: Public land..... Slobs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.