Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Advice For This Weekend?? >

Advice For This Weekend??

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Advice For This Weekend??

Old 03-31-2008, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Advice For This Weekend??

Last weekend we set-upabout 75 yards fromwherewe've been seeing theseturkeys roosting every since deer season.After they came out of roost we called them over to our decoys and my buddy took a 40 yard shot and met his mark on a nice tom.Just out of pure instinct we jumped up and ran towardshis turkey and scared the other turkeys off,which had 5-6 hens and another nice gobbler in it.This sunday we are going to try for me to get the other gobbler.My question is how differently should I do things differently? Were going to give the turkeys a full week to recooperate and try again Sunday morning.I know not to set-up in the same spot but how far away should I go?On the last huntwe were to the left of the turkeys roosting,should I try something as little as going to the right about 75 yards? And how much should I change my decoy set? We used B-Mobile and a hen on the last hunt,should I try to use justone of them onthis hunt? I'm a newbie here and I'mjust trying to wing it.You guys are my only help.Oh yeah,and what are the chances these turkeys will be roosting in the same tree? Do they change where they roost when they get spooked? These turkeys see very little,if any pressure if that helps any.And it's a feild we will be hunting.
I'm sure I've left out some key points for you guys to help me,just let me know what other info you need.
Thanks in advance,
James
Old 03-31-2008, 07:29 PM

Default RE: Advice For This Weekend??

They say Turkeys dont have much of a memory,but I believe they do.Ive called Toms up with a certain call and spooked him.Went back a few days later and he wouldnt answer that call but he did another.I would totaly change my set-up.Probably different call and no deks.They will probably roost in a different spot too.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the tip FlywayControl,I appreciate it.Anybody elsecare to comment on this?
Thanks,
James
Old 04-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

Definitatly try a new set up. I agree,leave the decoys out. Sometimes the full strut turkey will detour the gobblers, especially if they have had their ass whipped before. They are there for one reason and that is to breed hens. I aslo believe that a gobbler can remember a call from year to year. Change calls and call sparingly. If the hens get fired up then you fire up, forget about the gobbler and work on the hens. If the hens come so will the gobbler.Maybe you need to wait until later in the morning, when the hens have left,if they are nesting. Don't give up, if he does the same thing and not comes in then you know that you need to change your set-up. Persistance will pay off. Good Luck
Old 04-01-2008, 06:04 PM

If they are still roosting in or near the same location, chances are the gobbler is still struting at the same location. I would set up at the struting area, wait, use a different call, probably no decoy and call very little.