Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Lockjaw

Old 03-27-2008, 05:43 PM

Default Lockjaw

The season opener in GA was this past Sat. I went out on opening morning, and they were wide open. Heard several diffrent toms and several hens. I assume they got henned up soon after they flew down, That is pretty common for the first part of the season. I did very little calling and did not hit any sour notes nor was I busted by any birds. I have been back three times this week and have heard nothing, hen or tom. I have been in mid-morning and afternoon, mostly hitting locater calls and still nothing. There was a slight cold snap on one of the days but other than that no changes. Any explaination for the sudden lockjaw is the weather that big of a factor to make all in birds in this area stop talking. What is the best way to hunt when it gets like this. Thanks for any advice.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lockjaw

So, they gobble on the roost and shut up at fly down or shut up all together...?
I've noticed that when its real cold..... the turkeys shut up...
Old 03-27-2008, 06:17 PM

after opening day I havent heard any gobbling, but on opening day they gobble good on the roost and when they flew down. I had one get talk to me up to 20 yds but a hen came between us. is like they all leeft the area, but I doubt that is the case.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If its a high hen number area, I generally forget the gobbler and try and make the hens mad... or ambush the flock from the roost...
Old 03-28-2008, 06:18 AM

Thats just a cycle they go through during the breeding season.I think a lot of the toms have bred so much that they arent very active.Give it a few days.Usually after this lull,the toms get lonely again.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:46 AM

Same thing happening in southern Alabama where I hunt. First weekend a member actually witnessed a gobbler mounting a hen. Since then....same area...no gobbling. We have seen a few hens but nothing like the first weekend. There's a field off the property that you can always seea big group with several strutting birds. Last Friday and Saturday there were 12 turkeys in that field and I couldn't see a beard on any of them. Its like they reverted back to winter mode!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:50 AM

When I hunted southern AL last weekend, they were real bad about it. Still pretty early in the season, I bet it gets progressively better. They would gobble on roost a few timeswhere we were, then maybe 2-3 gobbles for the rest of the day from the ground.

Makes for some tough hunting, but it aint ever easy either.

Good luck to you guys.