Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Lockjaw in Missouri....

Old 05-01-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Lockjaw in Missouri....

Well, after a full 2 weeks of hunting, I don't think I have ever heard the birds around here more unresponsive than they are...This is truely getting frustrating. Finally, this morning, we heard about 10 different birds, but they gobbled once or twice in the tree, and that was it. Changed locations at about 7, and immediately got a response. Within a few minutes, we had 5 different birds going, but again, they gobbled a couple of times, and someone flipped off the switch. Nothing. Dead quiet. Again, about 11:30, one responded. Gobbled once, and nothing else. I sat till 12:30, waiting...nothing. No bird, no more gobble, nothin....All I can think of is hens....got to be the hens. Hope it gets better.[&o]
Old 05-02-2005, 01:14 PM

Default RE: Lockjaw in Missouri....

its worse here in Ohio right now.

For the last week or so, you get a few gobbles and then dead silence for the rest of the day...and we only get to hunt til noon.

Makes for hopeless feeling after about 8:30 around here right now.

I hunt public land and the mushroom hunters are everywhere right now...that cant help either!!!
Old 05-02-2005, 03:19 PM

last two day's i've heard nothing i two week's before that i herd alot think it is the wind
Old 05-02-2005, 05:46 PM
CJW

Must be something going on all over the place. I haven't hunted since Friday, but from what I hear from others it is still quiet. Just a couple of weeks ago they were gobbling their heads off, but now you're lucky to hear one. During the first morning of second season when I got my first turkey they were shock gobbling off of each other from all sides of the property. That will get your blood flowing.

This cold weather can't help matters.

CJW
Old 05-02-2005, 08:22 PM

I found out a little secret get the hens really really fired up on the roost with some exited hens on a slate and the hens will come to see who is there and the toms will follow the hens. The toms are really henned up right now. We've got lot's of gobbles off of a hoot tube by H.S. Strut. They've been gobbling up north way before dawn (around 5:15) and that will give you time to get close before sun up. Good Luck in MO.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:06 AM

It's the same thing here. Could it be the cold weather? It has been windy here too. Sat. forcast is suppose to be be warmer. Hopefully that will fire them up.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:23 AM

I've been out for the last two weekends here in iowa on public and private and haven't heard any gobbles, seen some hens though.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its the same here in S. Mo. also. Just a few gobbles on the roost and then its over, I blame it on them being all henned up but the cool temps probably don't help either, Its got to be the hardest year I have saw in trying to get into position to work a gobbler, I lucked out the first morning with a good'n, its a good thing I did, cause I have'nt even come close to filling my last tag. They shut-up before you can locate and get in on him.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:33 PM

GOOD NEWS my friend went turkey hunting today and heard 2 or 3 gobbleing at him he had one comeing in but a coyote broke it up so it mean there still were i thought they were but i know were they are know for next sunday wish me luck
Old 05-03-2005, 04:08 PM

Henned up...lockjaw, etc......I am ready to give up! [] First few minutes before sunup, they are very vocal.........Once they leave the roost.....SILENCE!!!!![&:]

I'm still trying Team 10!

Quick Reply: Lockjaw in Missouri....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.