Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Tight pattern but high and right >

Tight pattern but high and right

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tight pattern but high and right

Old 03-27-2008, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default Tight pattern but high and right

Went out yesterday to pattern my new super nova. I put on a carlsons ported choke and a tom knapp easy hit sight. Every load was high or high right. The pattern was great but not on target. I took off the tom knapp sight and shot with just the stock sight and got remingtons to hit closer to center about 2" high and 4" right. I'm thinking about getting a williams fire sight. Will they compensate for a pattern? In otherwords can you adjust them? Or are they stable like all the others? Like I said the pattern is fantastic. At 20 yards almost all the shot was within a 12" circle. I just need to get that pattern where I'm aiming.
Thanks
Old 03-27-2008, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tight pattern but high and right

Williams mades adjustible sights - make sure the rear sight is adjustible for both windage and elevation.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a cheap red dot from BPS. works really good. Just take the battery out every time you use it.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

My 1300 always shot high left, no matter what shell I put through her.
So I ended up getting a leupold 1X4 shotgun scope installed, never had an issue after that, besides I prefer seeing a crosshair on the birds head/neck area anyway over just a bead site.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get you some adjustable sights and move that pattern where it needs to be. You can pick up some really nice tru-glo fiber optic sights for not a whole lot of money...
Old 03-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

If you gun is going to be a dedicated turkey and or slug gun i'd say put a low power scope on it. Then you can dial it in for where you want it to hit. I like the precision of a scope, especially on those 20 yard shots where the pattern isn't much bigger then a softball. Also a scope will gather light, so if that bird pitches off the roost right into your lap at first light you should be able to see that long skinny neck just fine as you squeeze the trigger! Good Luck
Old 03-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the super nova's come with a shim kit like the semi-auto benellis do, then you'll need a bit more drop to compensate for elevation and a few degrees more of cast off for a right handed shooter to correct windage. The standard Nova of course does not have this option, but I do think the newer Comfort-Tech Super Nova's do. If you are going to be using this shotgun for more than just turkey's, you definately are going to want to fix the issue this way first. If you are just turkey hunting with it, then sights or optics will do fine for you.

My Mossberg 835 always shot high, and I bottomed out the fiber optic sights and was still almost a foot high at 30 yards. I put a scope on mine... works like a charm.