Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mixing camo patterns.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:54 PM

Default Mixing camo patterns.

This is for both turkey and deer hunting. I have hardwoods hd rain gear and a insulated hardwoods coat but i also have BDU style AP pants. Should i get a jacket to match or is mixing the AP and hardwoods ok. For turkey season it will be AP pants, hardwoods top, hardwoods green vest, AP facemask, and Hardwoods hat. Is it okay to mix the camo patterns together or should it all match?
Old 03-15-2008, 08:47 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Mixing camo patterns.

Camo helps you blend in - I wore BDU Military stuff for years. Check to see how you blend in - it should be just fine.

Pay specail attetnion to where you sit - Shadows - shady side of the tree - try not to let back groundlight highlight you and always Movement at the wrong time is the key!

JW
Old 03-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

if your sitting on the ground i actually prefer to mix. A leafy pattern for the pants and more of a twig and leaf pattern for my shirt. one thing i have learned is that there is not a perfect tree in the woods. i wouldn't be afraid to mix.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that is a great idea. Mix away.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

my camo never completely matches
Old 03-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

S20,

I definitely believe mixing camo patterns is the ticket. Here in GA where I hunt, we have a lot of palmetto and one camo I have found to blend excently is, Cabelas' Konifer, all that green mixes good with the palmetto. Most of the time I use BDN trousers are another color to mix with the leaves on the ground.

dog1
Old 03-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

I can't believe the advice you are being given by these guys. You should never mix camo designs or apparel manufacturers. I mean, what would a turkey think if you happened to be wearing mossyoak and realtree? Or what if a deer happened to notice that you were wearing white shoes after labor day? I mean, the results could be catastrophic. Forget about hunting and all that business with licences and tags. You must remember that the fashion police are out there in the woods, too.If they find out that youwear mix-matched camo, they will probably come checkand see if you removed the tags from your matresses and pillows.

I mean, really, have you ever noticed that the "real hunters" on tv always match? There's a reason for it. Somebody might get lucky and kill a deer or turkey everynow and then if they are wearing old worn out camo, but never if it doesn't match. I know it might be a little harder to make sure your camo matches, but after all that work to smell like dirt, scout the animal, practice shooting, and all the other preparation that goes into hunting, isn't it worth it? I PROMISE if your camo matches, you WILL be a more sucessful hunter.

However with that being said, I must admit that I have formulated a special spray that you can apply to your hunting clothes that will make it immune to the eyesight of fashion conscious game. You simply spray it on your clothing and let it dry. I will sell you a 12 oz bottle for $19.99 plus tax.

I also have a specially formulated spray for scentloc apparel. It sells for $39.99.

I will sell both bottles for $49.99 (that's a 9.99 savings.)

Old 03-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mixing camo patterns is a good thing .... I do it all the time , when I'm on the ground I'll wear Mossey Oak Forrest Floor pants with RealTree Hardwoods Green shirt along with a face mask and hat.
When I'm up in a tree , it's RealTree Hardwoods Brown with a SkyLine Apperation shirt , with so many patterns out on the market today a hunter can go crazy.
The important thing is to break up your outline while trying to blend in with the area your hunting in , become part of the woods sort of speak.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only no-no when it comes to mixing and matching camo is that you don't want to have a super dark color over a super light color on your upper body. For example, I'd avoid wearing a light tan or AP long sleeve shirt under a MONBU t-shirt.... the darker color will sort of profile the human shape a bit. This only matters anyway if you are standing up, facing whatever is coming to you. By and large its moot. Other than that, I always mix and match, espcecially sitting on the ground. I wear camo with a bit more brown on the bottom (like the forrest floor) and something with a bit more grey/green on top (like an oak tree can be).

Hold still, wear gloves and a facemask (no exposed skin) and you'll be fine as long as you aren't wearing white, blue or blaze orange.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:11 PM

If you dare to mix your hunting camo patterns, you will be penalized from 4-6 "Style Points" each and every trip to the woods....

Quick Reply: Mixing camo patterns.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.