Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

mossberg tatical

Old 03-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default mossberg tatical

Anyone own a mossberg with a tatical stock? I havent got to see one up close yet.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:03 PM

Default RE: mossberg tatical

I dont have one but have a couple buddies with them, and they are pretty sweet. The adjustable stock is really nice and the pistol grip is very comfortable especially for holding a long time waiting for a gobbler to come in. Im more of a Remington fan, and now they are making the 870 with the same stock, and in my opinion it is even better than the Mossberg, but just because I like Remingtons. I wanted one so bad in an auto, but neither Remington or Mossberg will make the auto in a tactical, so I bought a Stoeger with the steady grip, and love it, although it isnt adjustable like the Rem and Moss.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Typical Buck

My hunting buddy has one. It is an incredible gun, his patterns extremely well out to 50 yards. The only thing I didnt like was shooting it. The pistol grip is tough to hang onto after the shot. It kinda pulls the pistol grip out of your hands. If I were to buy one it would be the 835 with the thumbhole stock
Old 03-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have one, but the thing I noticed about the Mossbergs with the pistol grips and thumbhole stocks is that when you are holding it, it is really hard to get oyu hand out of the grip to take the safety off. Mossberg needs to put their safety down on the trigger guard for those guns.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pheasantfanatic

I don't have one, but the thing I noticed about the Mossbergs with the pistol grips and thumbhole stocks is that when you are holding it, it is really hard to get oyu hand out of the grip to take the safety off. Mossberg needs to put their safety down on the trigger guard for those guns.

Thats a big part of why I don't like them. Same goes with the thumbhole on mossbergs.

The #1 issue I have with those tactical stocked mossbergs, however, is that when I shoulder the gun, the lip of the shell holder is pushed hard right up againest my eye socket bone. I wouldn't shoot one if you paid me too. I really think it would give me a shiner. Everyone shoulders a gun differently, and I am 6' tall and tend to be a creeper when it comes to stocks (I lean my head forward). I've seen plenty of folks shoulder them without having that issue.... but its a deal breaker for me.

I have an 835 grand slam... just the regular old mossberg style stock... no complaints from anyone except the 20 or so turkeys it has killed in the last five years
Old 03-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Typical Buck

I hadnt though about the safety location with the thumbhole stock...that would be a big ole pain in the rear. I actually love the safety placement and the slide release placement on the 500 and 835, but in this application it wouldnt work very well.